October 25, 2024, 09:28:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangers of show breeding & pure bred dogs  (Read 2260 times)
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:35:42 pm »

Bryant,

It isn't all ab breeders who don't breed true to type. It is just like any other pure breed - you have the breeders who breed true and breeders who don't.

These days we are using dna testing to prove parentage as well as diagnose genetically linked diseases and malformities like cataract propensity, hip displasia, and the collie linked gene that makes some aussies sensitive to ivermectin. We get x rays inspected by the orthopedic foundation for animals to verify that a dog is free from hip abnormalities. We get the eyes checked by a veterinary opthemologist to ensure that there are no eye abnormalities. It isn't all purebred dog breeders who breed recklessly for the sake of the show ring. As I stated before, I raise working aussies, but I most certainly keep my dogs within my breed's standards. Proving my working dogs in the show ring is just confirmation that our aussies are physically what the breed should be.

Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: