October 25, 2024, 06:32:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barometer?  (Read 1867 times)
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2010, 07:33:27 am »

When I was bird hunting all the time I kept a log of all the weather conditions. Barometric pressure, temp, wind, direction, humidity, ect..  I did this for an entire season and I was running and training lots of dogs back then so it was not just a dog or two.

Here is what I found. Dogs cannot scent as well on a south wind, east is next worst, and north and west are the best. I don't know why but I know it is true.

When I was helping out at a hunting camp we were working about 35 dogs per day. I have seen dogs that did not smell birds well in perfect conditions. I have also seen them smell in the absolute worst conditions. I have seen conditions change in a couple of hours dramatically. Don't ask me what changed because I don't know. All I do know is that 4 dang good bird dogs did not do well early one morning in a particular pasture. The brids were there because we had several stop to flushes. We put 4 more dogs in the same pasture and they did great. Then we put the first 4 dogs back down and they were simply outstanding.

I guess that is what makes dogs so neat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: