October 25, 2024, 06:23:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your opinions of why we cross the way we do...  (Read 8047 times)
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

Speaking from exp in genetics, most people who run catchdogs arent people that fool much with genetics in dogs. The opinion is that catchdogs are easy to get. That would depend on the definition of what a catchdog is. I know alot of people will run dogs that will catch anywhere and thats fine for them mabe, but not everyone wants to be sewing up dogs or replacing them as often. Also people will credit pits as dogs that will catch day in and day out, but not many apply how they are bred to get that phenomenon. They are linebred, not bred to everything under the sun. Cats are what they are b/c what? Linebreeding, however this concept is lost when it comes to bulldogs. Bulldogs were once a breed, thats why they blast thru what they are bred to, but just like breeding a pit to something you lose something in the process. You might make good f1 crosses, meaning 1st generation, but after that the effects wear off. Thats why people consider a 3/4 bulldog 1/4 cat worthless. Even gamedog men who have run true gambred pits for years will say a true pit isn't good for catch work, they will grab anything they can get a hold of which may not be the smartest thing to do. I know most may think you just need the right mix, but how many dogs does one go through before getting that? Im willing to bet the purebred style go thru less. If they didnt you wouldnt have 30 year line curs, pure bred cats, BMCs, Blue lacys or pits. No offense to anyone here, I kno there is alot of exp on this board, but Im sure everyone on here has run into a situation where just b/c one has been doing something longer doesnt mean they are doing it perfectly, there is always room for improvement.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:47:21 pm by Crib » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: