October 25, 2024, 06:24:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your opinions of why we cross the way we do...  (Read 8048 times)
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:13 am »

I sincerely agree with both sides of this issue.  First the keep the breeds pure side:  I understand why this is done and agree with it, focus on the traits your after and stay with your line dogs.  But if I have curs and I want a pack of rcds that are not straight pit I am going to breed my grittiest cur to the most athletic cd I can find.  I will breed my own dogs because the best dogs I have owned I bred and raised myself and in the long run it's cheaper.  The last time I did this I got just what I wanted.  Some people will say this is luck but it's not it called hybrid vigor (f-1 cross).

Other people will say don't run rcds you just need better curs.  I love to bay up the hog and then send in the cd and for most hogs that works great.  But on the hogs that want stop for hell or high water the only way to stop them is with rcds.  Some people will say that there dogs will say with the running hog until they are stopped and if the hog tries to run they will chew his rear off and they may do this on some hogs but not all of them.  That's when you bring in the rcds.   If you have good stock they are going to produce good stock even if it's a cross.  I'm not afraid of crossing curs and pits it has work well for me in the past and I know it will continue to work for me.  That's not to say I want continue to breed pure ybmcs and pur pits.  I am making this cross for a particular reason to catch running boar hogs that refuse to stop. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: