September 27, 2024, 12:21:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridgebacks as hog dogs  (Read 2928 times)
L3Outdoors
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »

Over the last seventeen years I have spent alot of time and money importing Ridgebacks from South Africa. All of the dogs I have owned have been finder/holder running catch dogs with very little bark or back down. They showed no fear no madder how big a hog was or how bad he was. Most seemed to like catching the big stuff and would go out of their way to grab a big hog out of a group. I have hunted with American Ridgebacks and it was a hole different story. They would catch on small stuff, and back down and act like a gritty bay dog on big stuff. The size, and shape was much diferent too. The African dogs are big, and show alot of the mastiff side to them. I am getting away from the Ridgebacks because it is getting very hard to find good dogs that want bay. The older breeders in Africa will tell you that the Ridgeback is not a bay dog and was breed to hold large game. To much breeding has changed the Ridgeback and ruined the breed. Also the Ridgeback tends to be very dog agressive. They are usualy fine until a kill is made and then they have to be seperated right away. Just my experence with them. Others may vary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: