September 29, 2024, 02:31:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my first pup  (Read 1220 times)
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:01:33 am »

Spend as much time with the dog as you can.  Get a chiar and set in his pen with him so he will come to accept you as not threatening, you dont have to do anything just sit there and read a book or something.  Then teach him to lead.  It may be a challenge but once you do take him on walks and this will help him learn to trust you the most.  Also, dogs like all animals can read body language, so if you expect or think about the dog acting shy or skiddish then your body will show that, and the dog will read that body language and that will trigger him to act that way.  So always be confident, think positive and envision the dog comeing up to you to lick your hand.  If the dog was frightened when you pulled him out from under the porch then that could be the root of his shyness around you.  Just spend time with the dog, as that is what build the relationship.  Also be carefull about petting, if you pet when the dog is nervous and scared that encourages the bad behavior.  Wait till the dog relaxes before you pet him.  To Teach him to come, get a long lead like 15-20 feet long put him on it and walk out in an open area.  Then randomly ask him to come and if he does'nt pull him to you.  Eventually he will figure it out and when he comes give him a treat.  As someone else allready said hotdogs are good and cheap and dog love them.  This is just what I have done over the years it may not mean much to anybody, but I have turned lots of dogs around that were just like you described your pup to be with those methods above.  They were any where from very young to over a year old.  You should not have too much trouble with a pup.  Hope this helps and remember to keep a positvive mindset dont expect the pup to do the unwanted behavior because that will often trigger them to do it.

Waylon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: