September 21, 2024, 12:08:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Hog Dogs?LOL..Is it how they are raised or the blood line they have?  (Read 935 times)
ca10j
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:40:21 am »

Im only 16 and have some dogs I've raised and worked on my own. I've been through several breeds of dogs looking for what i want. I have red bone strike dogs, a red & a brindle cur strike/rcd's, Walker strike dog, lep. cat/cur bay dog, blue heeler(don't laugh Grin) help dog, and a SMALL pit, that i hunt. These are what i've kept through 3 years of free dogs. I've only bought 1 and it's my red bone gyp because i wanted to coon hunt but she likes hogs so i don't argue. I started off hunting with guys that paid a lot of money for their dogs to get my dogs started. I started with my little pit gyp that i (found) on the side of the road. Im all about a good deal but i wouldn't trade her for the best blood line in the world. There are dogs that have it and dogs that don't. If they have it they will go and be ready no matter what. If they don't they will take breaks on you and they aren't worth having. Let me know if a bloodline means anything to you, or if you think it's more of how you work with them/raise them....My # is 9032928718. Email:amanofstone4u@aol.com

From my LITTLE experience, Id say good bloodlines are producing "dogs" with atleast some sort of consistency. Still you must cull good bloodlines very hard to preserve what you want and rid what you dont want. With that being said there is also a dog to dog basis, some high prey drive dogs can learn; even random mutts, and then some dogs just dont have it in em. Id be interested to see what some older folks have to say. They know ALOT more then I know about hunting...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: