October 28, 2024, 06:28:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saltydog Catahoulas--doin' it my way  (Read 13166 times)
Saltydog Catahoulas
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »

Bryant, You and CW both have very good points, in which any reasonable dogman would relate to. Yes, I DO incorporate line-breeding. Goes back to my horse breeding days. Horse genetics and dog genetics are very close in how they express themselves in off spring. The best you can do is breed dog A to dog B and hope for the best--thus a starting point. Genetics will express it's self for better or worse, and you, as a responsible breeder get to make the next generation's decisions. And yes, keeping the litter back to evaluate what YOU like in your program is what it's all about. If a dog does not pass muster, that does not mean it's a bad dog--it means the specimen will not work for what I need to breed back in to my program. Now that same dog might be just exactly what some one else likes in THEIR program. So place your pups. But be responsible enough to cull suspect pups--ones with the genetic markers for blindness/deafness--these markers are often ignored by irresponsible breeders, so they hurt the breed. You yellow dog folks have the same situation, just a different set of problems prominate in YOUR favorite breed. All breeds have room for genetic improvement.

CW, I can say this much about "just another dog" generalization, that would be true in a "new" breeding program--beginners who have not had enough time to make a genetic impact on their program. However I have watched undesireable traits diminish and disappear with in MY lines, over the years. I have also watched desireable traits come on stronger and become more the rule than the exception within my dogs.  I always am amazed at the next generation of pups to hit the ground.

On the genetic time line, catahoulas are a brand new breed in the Dog World. NALC was the first totally dedicated association to register and promote "cleaning up the genetics", and they began about 1970-71-ish. Prior to that Stodhill registered some in the '60's. But NALC really cleaned up the standards. To me, that was a big obstacle out of the way for catahoulas. Catahoula genetics are very loose, as you can check out other bloodlines, and most seem to have their own "look". The "Fe-Fe" breeders who breed just for color are the catahoula breeds worst enemy, IMHO. That's a whole new topic in it's self.

If you were to look at other dog breeds--let's say dobermans or rottweillers, or German Shepards, they have been breeding for desireable traits for 400 + years. Catahoulas are just beginning this genetic journey. Genetisist say that it take 10 years to breed out one bad trait in an animal--and I believe them. It takes one poor decision and one breeding to breed IN a bad trait. Then, let's deal with "thow-back" traits. So breed responsibly and always breed UP instead of DOWN, the best you know how.

Know your dogs. I can run my pedigrees back into the mid '60's. That's valuable information.How far back do YOU know your bloodlines?Breed responsibly and enjoy the results
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: