October 04, 2024, 06:19:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatstroke  (Read 1845 times)
Td3 dogs n hogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:56:47 pm »

firemedic I have an idea what you want to say. But to me if you live in a place like Texas you better know what to do in the heat. I run in the heat sometimes. I don't think a dog that has a heat stroke will be more likely to have it again because of having it. I think some dogs know to slow down in the heat. You need to make sure you only hunt in short bursts and give lots of water. keep a close eye on your dogs. I had a heat stroke once and nobody was with me. I knew the signs and what to do. You don't feel good quickly. Just today my kids had to go out and play. I tried to keep them in. When I saw girl I knew to get her in and put her in the bath and give fluids. To me kids and dogs both need someone with a close eye. Try to wait for cooler times but sometimes they just want to go and it is your responsibility.

Hunting in the heat requires lots of water, and ice packs. You need to know where to put them to cool the dog or a person fast.
if you hunt in the heat it dont matter how you do it you raise the risk of heat stroke i dont expect my dogs to just give up on a runner cause its hot. and its hard to keep a close eye on them when there running hogs we only planed to hunt about 30 min they just got on a rough hog in 100 degree heat and my dog will not quit no matter what...well unless he has a heat stroke. but i do belive once he has had one he is more prone to have them in the futer. but hes doing good acts like hisself again i been keeping a close watch on him whatch for blood and making sure he gets fresh water evryday. he seems to be getting better but only time will tell. thanks for all the help and comments guys and girls
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: