October 04, 2024, 06:22:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatstroke  (Read 1847 times)
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:56:46 am »

I reckon that the reason this heat stroke thing gets to me so much is that it's TOTALLY avoidable, or at least it seems that way to me. I agree that some dogs have enough sense to quite before they get too hot,.....but most of them don't. I commend you td3 for realizing and admitting that,....as you said, that you screwed up by hunting in the heat. Takes a big man to admit that he's wrong and you've done that, says a lot about you.

I live in north Alabama,....it doesn't get much hotter or more humid than here,...I think south Ga and FL maybe have us beat but not by much. I would love to hunt year 'round, but I will not risk losing one of my dogs to heat stroke,....I've got a lot of time and money invested in them and I see it as my duty to take care of them as best I can. I take this responsibility very seriously,....and keeping my dogs from heat stroke is part of that in my opinion.

I doubt that I'm going to change many folks mind about hunting in the heat,....but maybe, just maybe a few of y'all will take a look at it and see that this can be avoided just by not hunting in the heat.....simple, at least to me. Hog hunting is hard on our dogs just by the very nature of it, so why add another, which in my humble opinion, is an avoidable risk to it?

Yes,....as stated earlier, you can carry water and ice and hopefully get your hands on a dog before it gets so hot that the damage has been done. But we all know that a hog very rarely reads the script that we have for the next hunt, and therefore they often do exactly the opposite of what we want 'em to.

Just please consider my thoughts on this....I wish to offend no one on here....and if I have I am honestly sorry.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: