October 20, 2024, 02:49:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP DOG ???  (Read 3685 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

To many variables to answer that question intelligently. What kind of dogs do you run? What's the terrain like? Do the hogs bay or run? Do you lead in or run rcd's? This topic has been covered many times. You tell me you dont have help dogs in your yard I respectfully say your definition of a help dog is different than mine.

What's your definition of a help dog? As far back as I can remember it hasn't changed any?

I don't have any help dogs in my yard. I expect every one of mine to be able to find and bay a hog. They will honor each other's bay and join in a race... but they won't quit their own hog to do so. If a young dog doesn't make the grade around here, it gets culled.

Sigh....just one question.

Does your yard rotate strike duty? Meaning, do your main hunting dogs have exactly the same amount of strikes under their belt? If you can say yes then you have an amazing line of dogs and I envy you. If you answer no then you have help dogs in your yard.

I'm not talkin bout up and comers. I'm just assuming you have a main strike dog. One that gets the job done over and over. I would also assume you hunt with him at least one dog that is more than 2 years old, maybe two. These dogs have probably struck their own hogs but more often than not its your number one that strikes. That's the nature of a pack. Nothing wrong with it, that's just what happens.

My definition of a help dog is simple. If the dog is not your number one he is a help dog.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: