October 04, 2024, 04:28:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about a well  (Read 566 times)
smarlowe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:33 am »

I'll tell ya a short story bout well pullin, comical now when I look back on it. Some of this may help you. When I wAs in my early twentys I bought my first home. Just an old farmhouse,nuttin fancy. So all of a sudden the well quits workin! 3 kids and a wife-no water. No problem I say, I remember pullin wells wit my dad as a boy.I'll just round up a couple buddys and get er done I tell the wife. Now this is a relatively new well bout 5 years old I think. So me n cuple buddys get some beer and gear together and start to work, we cant budge this thang for nuttin! Try harder, into the night we work thinkin if we can just get it started it'll come out.
Worked all night drank all the beer, no luck ! One guy says I Know lets tie to it, andpull the rope over a barrel with the truck, ok good thinkin buddy lets try it, annnnnnt no luck that way. This is a good example of how head strong we can be when were young and broke ! Ha Ha !
We cracked the top of the casing pullin at an angle with the truck. Well its gettin toward mornin and one guy has to go so that leaves 2 of us. I tell the remaining guy to go home get some sleep and we'll figure it out later.Im gona call my dad I tell him and get some advice!
After daylight I call the old man and explain the situation, I'm really expectin dad will have the answer because I remember pullin wells wit him growin up. Dad tells me to just call a local well man and save yurself alot of trouble, well thats not what I wanted to hear so me and the one buddy get back at it. Rested now and with last nights mishaps behind us were ready to whip its but now! At that time I think I was bout 24 years old and if I set my mind to sumpin it was gona happen Be damned! Be damned !
So this time we figure if we get an engine hoist right over top the case we can pull straight up on it and it just has to go, and once we get it started we'll be in the clear ! So here we go , we tryed for hours and hours to pull that damn well, all day and clear into the night again. I called all my young buddys to get their expert advice but in the end nuttin worked ?! Finally after 2 full days, (my whole weekend) I break down an call the local well man. He's an old man, clean cut, wrinkled and weathered skin, not much for talkin he just quietly walked around my mess lookin at things while I explained to him everything Id tryed for the last 2 days. I noticed he did have a kinda small grin on his face. He had seen my 3 kids on the porch all in diapers and my young wife. Finally he broke down laughin right in my front yard, after a bit he put his hand on my shoulder and said  son, you cant pull this well, its 600 ft deep and plumbed with 10 ft sections of pvc ! You'd pull yur nutts off tryin to lift that !!!! 
Well long story short, after he pulled himself together he backed his boom truck up to the well ,pulled 600 ft by himself in about 10 min. He repaired the burnt wire got me all fixed up and agreed that I could pay him the $250.00 on my next payday,He was laughin as he left !
Growin up I watched my dad do bout everything hisself cause we had no money, I followed the same way, I can now build my own houses, fix my own cars , just about anything I need done, but I have learned that at times you are better off to just hire it out !
If you wanna pull it then go for it, but dont waste 2 days on it and find out how deep it is first ! Good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: