September 18, 2024, 11:35:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leopard hounds  (Read 8541 times)
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2016, 11:10:54 am »

That's a great looking dog there Georgia. He just looks rough, I bet he was hell on a hog.

American Leopard curs are big game and treeing dogs just like the old man said. About 8 years ago the UKC started registering them as American Leopard Hounds some were excited about this because it got them into the UKC coondog events and some were really upset with the name change and now refuse to register with the UKC or acknowledge anything that has hound to do with it. Over those few years it seems that the guys registering with the UKC dog's look really houndy while the guys that decided to go their own way still look much more like curs and only register their dogs with the ALCBA.

I have two of the latter mentioned cur ones that are straight MacDuffy breeding. They come from a long line of bear and cat dogs. Almost no coondogs at all not that that is good or bad. I guess just like anything else it just comes down to preference. They have a little longer hair almost never glass eyes and almost never ever double glass eyed, and you can't even get them permanently registered until three people will sign off saying they have seen the dog go from truck to tree or bay on their own.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: