October 07, 2024, 03:19:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rallied hogs jumping on a bulldog  (Read 1705 times)
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:55:30 pm »

Good feedback and thank you for the responses.

I hunted last week by myself- didn't get to the lease until 11:30 am.  Didn't figure I would find much but I had some pups with me that needed woods time.  I found a good set of tracks not 1/4 mile from where I unloaded my ranger.  Turned a old dog and a pup loose and they didn't find anything on one side of the road but I saw them coming to the road ahead of me about 250 yds.  I get up to where they are going to cross and I see 6-7 hogs tracks.  Some of the biggest tracks I've seen in a real long time.  I figure the smallest hog in the bunch is about 175.

Dogs cross the road and go 224 yds and bayed.  I figure this is good, they going to break and I'll send more pups.  Nope- I walk into the bay with my bulldog expecting they will have one hog bayed and I get about 50 yds from the bay and I can hear several hogs rattled up.  My two dogs would bay together and they would seem to split about 20 yds and then come back.  I listed for a few minutes and decided not to send the bulldog.  To make matters tougher, the hogs were in a good sized creek and I knew flipping one hog was going to be a challenge- but this aint one hog, it is 6 or 7 and I mean real deal hogs they were pressured to go anywhere.  I took the bulldog back to the ranger and walked another pup in.  I sat there for two hours and listened to the best baying Ive heard in a long time. 

All week Ive wondered if I made the right decision; at the end of the day, I think holding the bulldog may have been the right choice.  Ive been in a couple binds before, but my gut told me this was not right and it could go wrong quick.  So, the best news is, one of my pups bayed her tail off at her first real woods hogs for two hours.  I heard her cry out once from being charged but I think she just got scared. 

All in all, it was fun, just a bit nerve racking for a few min.  Going back tomorrow with some help, maybe the outcome will be better. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: