September 27, 2024, 07:21:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressured hogs  (Read 734 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2024, 11:29:03 pm »

I for sure have dealt with it. Our hogs are pretty wild. Everybody is shooting in daylight, night time thermals, traps, trying to run over them, helicopters, snares, and dogs. I probably missed a couple of methods too. My dogs use to be pretty loose baying. Over the years I have concentrated on brains, smart dogs figure out ways to win. Another must is track driving speed, the less recovery time a hog gets and the harder he has to run the sooner it bays up or makes a mistake. Then there is the bite. I don’t want stupid rough but I do want the stock sense. I want them to know when to apply pressure and when to back off and how to size a hog up. Bay to the head and BITE to the rear not pinch.

In my opinion, I believe breeding a good consistent line of hog dogs is one of the hardest tasks out there. There aren’t many other disciplines that breed for as many traits as a hog dog.

My dogs evolved by selecting the dogs that were stronger where I thought I needed change. I also made an outcross to a really good line that was very similar to my dogs except that line was overly gritty but the tracking speed, brains, and build were very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: