September 27, 2024, 07:24:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressured hogs  (Read 736 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2024, 12:10:30 pm »

Those are some pretty pups. I am like Highwater and a few others on here. I remember the days we used to bay up sounders and have way more bays then hogs that break. I think there are several reasons for that. back in the day, we mostly had open woods and feral hogs that were half tame. When they closed open range and started cutting the timber out creating cutovers it was a lot easier for the hog to escape. Also in the late 80's Baying contests evolved and everyone wanted to be a hoghunter. Also Russian boar were imported in to several areas and that put alot of the run in them. Like Highwatrer said the short distance dogs that could not hang with a runner taught hogs to run and they were the ones that got to breed so the hogs evolved. The hog hunters had to evolve with them breeding dogs with more stick. That being said there are still hogs out there that can run the air out of the dogs.
  All this got me thinking of the ways hoghunting has changed. When I started out, we either road horses or walked hunted. I remember when I got a Honda 185 Big Red 3 wheeler. Man I thought I was in high cotton. Then in the mid 80's We got telemetry tracking collars and we were fixed. Thought that was the best thing since peanut butter. Shocking collars came next and we sure had straighter dogs and didnt have to spend so much time looking for dogs. We used to put a telemetry collar, a shock collar and the dogs regular collar on. I thought we would have to start breeding longer necks on these dogs. Then came side x sides, Garmins, feeders and trail camers. Everything has gotten easier except catching running hogs. lol Also as times went on we have lost more and more land to hunt and almost everything is leased up. We have the Urbanites that move out to the country and they buy 5 acres and think they own the rest.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: