October 25, 2024, 09:27:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangers of show breeding & pure bred dogs  (Read 2259 times)
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:50:55 pm »

While I totally agree with the idea that breeding solely for show ring trends creates issues within the breeds, there is a flip side to this coin as well. I raise aussies, so I'm going to use them as an example.

There are basically two aussies - show bred and stock bred. There are obvious issues with the show bred dogs including a lack of working ability, dogs being too big and carrying too much coat to be effective workers, and dogs bred to trot which are unable to move quick enough to get out around the stock. That said, there are many of the straight up working aussies that don't come anywhere near looking like aussies. You would be hard pressed to distinguish them from border collies.

If you get too far into the show lines, you lose. If you get too far into the working lines, you lose. The breed can only benefit if breeders breed for both the working dogs and the "show dogs" or for a dog who conforms to the established breed standard (by which the shows are to be judged). I breed for both. If you ask me, I will tell you I raise stockdogs. What you will find after seeing my dogs that they fit the breed standard and so some of them pull double duty as show dogs.

It is the same with any breed. Without the breed standard, the breed doesn't exist.
Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: