September 27, 2024, 06:17:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunt with Slim’s crew  (Read 231 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2024, 05:54:01 pm »

Deputy Dawg and I made a trip down to Slim’s for a hunt. We met up with Slim and his two buddies Tim and Rhett. They took us to a real nice place, real pretty country. It’s pretty similar to our country but a little different too. They definitely have their share of rose hedge and wild lemon trees. For those of you that aren’t familiar with those, rose hedge is just like a rose bush with the long gangly runners but it’s a little heavier and whole lot thornier. It grows in a wad so you get poked and tangled up just looking at it. The wild lemon trees have long thorns, about 2 inches or more in length all along the limbs. You will find them growing about every 6 inches. I have gone in them clothed and dang near naked by the time I got out. We dumped dogs right after daylight. We got a boar hog bayed and he broke on us as the bulldogs were kicking in the door. He had been wanting to leave but they weren’t letting him until then. About 150 yards later they had him stopped in a little water hole. Those young guys got in hurry up mode because the bulldogs already headed to them. It was nice to not have to hurry as hard. We tied him and lightened his load. By the time we did that, we had another bay at .7 from us. Whatever we had wasn’t wanting to set still. It kept moving around in this rose hedge and yaupons. I don’t know how much it was helping, but the yote in there with the dogs was vocal too. We loaded up and went and made a couple more casts and got on a little sounder that was bedded in a little wet season creek area. It was rose hedge and wild lemon trees. The dogs stretched a shoat and we caught the dogs up. We made one more cast but didn’t get anything. We called it a day because it was pretty warm and Deputy Dawg had to get back. I know he and I both had a good time. Slim, Tim, and Rhett were good hosts and we got to visit a good bit. We ended up with 2 boars and a shoat. We look forward to being able to hunt with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 06:15:26 pm »

Sounds like a good time!
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 08:55:13 pm »

Man it sure was a dang good time. Appreciate yall coming out. Yall are welcome back anytime, and I just might make yall come back even if you don’t want to.

Couple highlights T-dog left out. The 3 hogs we caught were all behind his, and Dillan, his nephews dogs. This was not for lack of our dogs being there, but that’s about all they were, was there.
  They showed up with I think 5 cast dogs(and a nice off lead bulldog) as nice as any of the 3 of us have ever seen. Really, they showed up with a box full of what I’ve been after with the dogs I’ve been breeding the last 7 years. I can’t speak for how long he’s had the caliber of dogs they showed up with, but 25 years in to that family of dogs, he’s got something figured out. I told him yesterday, we’re chasing yall.

Also, Thomas is a bit of a jokester. 2nd boar we caught was in some rose hedge and it took a minute for us to be able to kick a hole in the pile big enough to pull the hog out. We got him out and flipped and Dillan handed me his knife(courtesy of WayOutWest, super nice blade sir). I went to stick the hog. Slid in like butter and of course I hit him right in the heart and I get sprayed with blood. Without missing a beat Thomas says something along the lines of “Dillan didn’t show you? You got to hit the anti squirt button so that don’t happen”. When I tell you I pulled this knife out of this hog and went to inspecting this knife for some “button” for about 5 whole seconds before I realized he was pulling my leg.

He also didn’t mention he came bearing a gift for me. As some of ya who read often on here might now, I recently took my Sketch gyp to a male of T-dogs named Ray(Ray was in attendance for this hunt and a heck of a young dog). When I packed sketch up there 4.5 months ago Thomas had a tri colored male pup about that age out of his dogs at the house that I sure liked, and I could tell Thomas liked as well.   
Told Thomas he needed to go home with me, to which Thomas said “yeah you and everybody else”. Fast forward to Saturday evening before they came down I got a text asking if I’d like to have that pup. Absolutely I would. So he packed him down here and made my morning being able to put that joker in one of my collars. Then after seeing what all his relatives were a few hours later, I’m stoked for what he has the potential to be. Thomas you’ll have to remind me on here or text what he is out of so I can remember, and if he had a name you were using for him.

All said, Thomas, thanks a million, for extending the olive branch. You’ve been a wealth of knowledge that has come with no arrogance. You’ll give me you opinion and experiences, you’ve listened to mine, and offered different perspectives all without talking down on me for being a younger guy who certainly doesn’t know near as much. Thanks for trusting my assessment of sketch enough to allow me to breed to your dog without having ever seen her go. My pride is still a little hurt from the showing she made, even if she is 9, crippled, and fresh off of pups. Hope to see yall soon.

Side note, Tim took cardi B to that male today. They tied immediately so fingers crossed on that deal.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 09:38:37 pm »

I said when you breed to T's male you wouldn't be sorry and I still stand behind that. I have been hunting with him for over 15 years and he had good dogs then but he has done nothing but make them better and more consistent. That knife of Deputy Dawgs has seen some use over the last few years. Glad you liked it.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 10:49:29 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Slim. No need to be embarrassed about Sketch. Her mind and her body just aren’t on the same page. That happens to us all if we live long enough. As for the rest of your dogs, they are very young. If they had out done my dogs I would have to rethink what I have as your dogs don’t have near the experience. Mine are seasoned dogs and yours didn’t lack hustle. I don’t try to help everybody, just the people that show me they want help. I by no means know it all. I just try and share what has worked for me. You guys were all humble and weren’t prideful. I hope Deputy Dawg and I were able to provide some helpful feedback.

The pups name is King. He is out of Reba who is a littermate sister to Deputy Dawg’s Moon gyp. His daddy is Ken who is a littermate to my Ava gyp. I hope he turns out. I think he will. He liked a hog since he was a little fella. I would have to pick him up and carry him away to make him quit baying.

That Cardi gyp won me over. She’s a real level headed dog and for sure easy to look at. Hopefully she’ll have a barrel full of pups.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 06:39:29 am »

Sounds like some pretty good dog work all the way around . You never know what will happen when two parties get together for the first time, whether the dogs are people will get along but glad everything clicked. That is a pretty good looking pup.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 07:16:10 am »

Thats sounded like a hunt was suppose to be,,, Good folks getting together for  a good time...  Good dog work too....   Ive seen a lot of fellers on this dog site for the past 10 or 15 yrs but I could tell T Dog and his crew are good people and know what a good Hog Dog is suppose to be... 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 09:15:01 am »

I appreciate that Highwater! Cajun you are correct. I didn’t see any dogs to be ashamed of that day. Their country is like ours a whole lot and especially in the sense that any direction you turn is a pretty good direction for hogs to be. We cast dogs a couple of times and they hunted without getting on anything. In my opinion, one mistake we made was thinking we knew where the hogs were going to be and when they weren’t there, we loaded up and moved. Had we allowed the dogs to go elsewhere, they MIGHT have located something. The sign around the water holes wasn’t good but often times we would be at one pond but 4-500 yards away might be another. We didn’t check them all so who knows if there was sign at some of those. I get why we did what we did, we were trying to hurry in a sense to get into hogs before the heat caught up. So like I say, I understand Slim’s frustration but he honestly shouldn’t be embarrassed. Now if his dogs had hung around and not had any try then I would completely agree with him, but that just wasn’t the case.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2024, 11:24:03 am »

Looks like y’all had a good time

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: