October 28, 2024, 01:24:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No "Pit Bulls" allowed!  (Read 2079 times)
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:52:02 pm »

I just thought I would share a story that happened to me the other day. My brother and I were at the high school ag barn in Granbury so his kids could feed their goats. We brought along our dogs since they were both puppies so we could introduce them to some livestock and further their socialization. His dog is basically a mutt that they found one morning in the yard and no one claimed it. My dog is a dogo x ab cross I got from Bar M.

Both dogs were leashed and showing no aggression what so ever towards anything...people, animals, one another, etc. Some guy pulls up and tells us that dogs aren't allowed at the ag barn "especially pit bulls because who knows when it would attack someone or an animal." My brother politely informs the guy that it isn't a "pit bull." The guy then responds with "well then what the hell is it?" So we tell him which causes him to change his story and that only "working" dogs are allowed up there.

I find it somewhat humorous but it made me mad at the same time. That was my first personal experience with the general public's bias towards APBT's and my dog isn't even one! He just assumed that because her ears are cropped. To top it all off she isn't even 5 months old yet...
HogzgoneWild
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »

You gotta love the ignorance of some, thats what happens when they are not properly educated or don't wanna be!!!!!! All we can do is handle it the best we can, be polite, get our point across, try to educate but at the same time not make matters any worse than they already are. Sounds like yall handled it very well, and thats all it takes sometimes to make them think twice or jump to conclusions right off the bat.

"pain is just fear leavin the body"
TDHA member/TLGDA supporter
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Victor Dealer/Promoter
hogdoggerdude14
Strike Dog

hog doggin is what we do

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:06 pm »

I hate those people who think pits or anything thatlooks like a pit is a monster
cause of what they here on the news
people turn those dogs aggresive the dogs only what to please the masters
I looked up 10 most dangerous dog breeds the apbt was in 6th or7th place the chiwawa was in front of it for gods sake

Hv
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:41:58 am »

im sorry Nick , but if my kids had show animals in that barn , i would have probably asked you to take the dogs out too.

i would have asked any body with a dog of anykind, to keep it outside of the barn.
 no use in putting the livestock thru any undue stress of something strange in their barn.
these people with show animals put alot of time in on their animals so they are going to be real particular about them.

kinda a bad place to try and socialize your dogs.

im shure you have enough experence with livestock to know what you where doing,  but other people may not and may think your going to let your dog bark at their goat or something.

now i think the guy was wrong for pulling the bulldog card on you but i can understand him not wanting dogs in the showbarn.

not looking for a argument just my .02

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
slimpickins
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »

I agree with Craig, sorry about the bulldog card but a show barn is no place for any dog. Sounds like you handled it well, probably better than I if in the same situation.

Pro-Staff @ Wild Boar USA
www.wildboarusa.com
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading!" unknown
Bacon is a vegetable!
nate3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

Nick, sorry to hear what happened to you. Most of America does not know what a real pitbull looks like. I heard of some REALLY dumb people say that rotts were pits. I was on a trail with my pitbull and some people walked by an were disscussing about my dog. One said thats a pit, the other said no it's to small. My Pit is a standard 58 lbs. With all the negitive media attention on Pitbull, no wonder people have no idea what a real pitbull is. Alot of back yard breeders and this blue hype movment are mixing Cane Corso's and Neo Mastiffs. What the don't realize is that their not only gaining size but also that temperment. You always see on the news PITBULL ATTACKS. Then they show the pitbull and looks noithing like one. Oh the media...does anyone remember Petey the pitbull...
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:57 am »

Heck my Jagd killed my kids show lambs 5 yrs ago. LOL Now that's a bad SOB

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 08:04:54 pm »

The dog on the right is considered a pit bull by the animal control guys in Kingsville Huh? Lips Sealed

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
nate3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:27:09 pm »

The dog on the right is considered a pit bull by the animal control guys in Kingsville Huh? Lips Sealed

LOL. Did the animal control guy smell like beer.
FcHogDog
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »

Looks like a lacy to me  laugh

“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” - John Wayne
“If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.” - John Wayne
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »

Looks like a lacy to me  laugh

Nailed it on the head, got him from Monteria here on the board. He got out one day and was sitting on the porch waiting on me to get home and Animal control drove by. The guy said he was "Suiting up"  to catch him and dropped his tailgate and opened the door to his dog box to get a retraining stick. Hell Hank knows when the tailgate drops you better load up so he got up and jumped right in the dog box.... Guess he didn't know he was going to jail Tongue Tongue. Dog catcher said he was the "Nicest pit he ever picked up"

I gave them a "My first big book of dog breeds" so the could study up on what they're catching  Grin Grin Grin

Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
WAARHEID
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »

As soon as I saw it I thought "Hmm... looks like a big Lacy dog to me."

But to be fair, I'm a dog guy, the average person probably wouldn't know. For example, I couldn't identify half of the horse breeds out there... but I also don't claim to know when I don't either.

I wouldn't have a problem with a "No-Dogs in this building" policy, but to say "No Pit-Bulls in this building" is just plain stupid. I mean, it's a free country, and if it's your property, you have the right to make stupid rules on your own property, but it doesn't make them any less stupid.

Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »

I'm the same way, but 99% of the folks that see him and say "What breed of cowdog is that??" (Part of the reason he got the name hank, buddy's grandkid thought I went to the panhandle and bought the dog in the childern's books his folks and grand folks read to him Wink Wink ) I've never had non-working dog people call him a "pit" except the dog pound. I think that folks due to all the dam dog fighting rings have given the breed a bad name, and its not the dogs falut but the owners. ANYONE can teach a dog to be mean no matter what breed it is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: