September 20, 2024, 08:31:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fl curs  (Read 3984 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »

Bryant, I wouldn't say Monkey is "human aggressive" as much as he is protective. If I put him in the truck, or on the 4 wheeler he won't let anyone touch it. He runs loose at my house, but my place is fenced and only one neighbor you can see so it hasn't been an issue. I have 4 wheelers, bass boat, had an airboat (the ex has it now), etc in the barn and part of Monkey's job is to be sure that stuff is still there when I get home from work. With the economy the way things are, theft here in Fla is at an all time high. I feel an aggressive dog is a big deterrent to a thief. But Monkey has never offered to bite me, my ex (darn...) or anyone he gets to know well. I don't have kids so I wouldn't trust him around them. but I rarely have kids at my house.

If you and I are hunting together I can turn Monkey out and he won't even look at you. He won't growl or pay any attention to you at all. But once I load him in the truck he won't let you touch him or the truck. Now Dave, that I hunt with regularly, can handle him pretty good. He knows Dave and knows we hunt together. He rides on Dave's 4 wheeler as much as mine anymore (due to me hauling young dogs) and he and Dave get along fine. But if Dave comes to my house, Monkey won't let him in the gate........

Anyway, most of the Fla curs I have been around for the past 50 years have all been very similar. Monkey isn't the only dog I have that acts this way, most of my dogs are like this. I may have 2 out of the 11 that tolerates strangers.

If any of you guys have a jam up finisihed hog dog that growls at people, and you are about to cull him for that reason,  let me know........he will fit in here! Grin

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:32 pm »

If any of you guys have a jam up finisihed hog dog that growls at people, and you are about to cull him for that reason,  let me know........he will fit in here! Grin

And if it dont fit there ill feed it!  Grin
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »

I been raising this pup. She's 8 months this month. Her momma is a Partin dog that belongs to a fella that works cows for the Partins in Osceola County. Her daddy is a good cow dog that come off of Kemphers Ranch in Osceola County. He kept one pup & we split the rest  Wink
I hate waiting for pups to grow. lol

Smiling like a killer
FLBayNSlay
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »

I have hunted with several very good FL Curs and hav owned a few good ones. All mine were short to medium range, catch first bark second dogs. I never used or owned a catchdog. If it was a rank hog 2 dogs mayb 3 on occasion we run along Poppa Barr Hog!!!! All mine had a great handle and were people friendly with no dog aggression. I must of been lucky from what im hearing, Cracker C I hunt with John quite a bit at my spot. I like that pup he has off Monkey, from what I hear he seems like a good dog. I moved from Central Fl to North Fl and traded my gritty short range dogs for sum long range bay dogs. Now I have a lead in CD and my dogs are not what I consider real gritty. I will probly get another one and hope to make it a long range bay dog  Grin The pics are of my buddys B&T and a tan gyp I had. Both were real good dogs!

Matt
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:39:03 pm by FLBayNSlay » Logged

gone huntin.....
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

Our dogs are timid and do not care for strangers, if you come in the yard unannounced they are liable to hym you up.  Our gyp Sookie and her brother Chance are probably the worst about it but if you take them to the woods they are fine, with the exception that they do not want anyone handling them but my husband....they are the type you open the pen/dog box and tell them to load up.  While they are not child or human aggressive so long as we are around, but we like them like that because we know no one would ever get their hands on them.

Our dogs are all related and differ in size/build/color and most are 3/4 tails but those that arent we help out, their sizes range from 80lbs+ to a little female that is about 45lbs with a fiesty head but like crackerc said, they are all gritty as heck.  The males tend to catch by theirself or atleast try it and the females will usually wait for one other dog to get there but catches just like the rest.

sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 12:21:08 am »

Hogaholicswife, let me get that dog on the right in the last pic Grin

He has that psyco look to him with those eyes.... and i like that Wink

John Esker
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 07:04:53 am »

Shoot id take every one of them, good lookin dos girl..
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:16 pm »

Thanks guys.

Hogaholicswife, let me get that dog on the right in the last pic Grin

He has that psyco look to him with those eyes.... and i like that Wink

lol well dont let his eyes fool you, he thinks he wants to be gritty but he also has a tendancy to make you question him/his abilities...I will say that he is probably a better woods/grove dog than in the cane as he just doesnt seem to care much for it.  
There are definately days when I would like to send him packing and others where I could hug his neck!  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:39:21 pm by hogaholicswife » Logged
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »

Well just give me a call on one of his bad days and i'll come get him Wink

John Esker
spazhogdog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »

No John,  I need another dog and I would promise him no cane fields and give him a blanket to sleep on when it is cold, so call me first on his bad day.  Grin   He is a cool looking dog

Gods gifts   grandkids and puppies
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: