September 29, 2024, 08:24:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barrel Dog Houses  (Read 12839 times)
yellowdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »

Looking to make some more plastic barrel dog houses. Any ideas would be appreciated.
slimpickins
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:23 am »

Mine hang from (2)chains attatched to the top rail of the kennel walls.
Makes it easier to hose out the kennels, and provides shade underneath in the summer.

Pro-Staff @ Wild Boar USA
www.wildboarusa.com
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading!" unknown
Bacon is a vegetable!
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:31:20 am »

Slim, do you have a picture of how you supported those? Did you Reinforce the chain to the barrells and ho wdid ou attach those, I have sen this before and like the concept and about time for me to replace some shelters in my kennels

Also are you barrels completely open on one end are partially cut door?

slimpickins
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:52:18 am »

I know it's hard to see, but I"ll get some better pictures, this is all I have right now.

You can kind of see how I cut the doors in the "top" of the barrel.
I then bolt 2 eye bolts and use big fender washers (so it won't pull through) and lock nuts, 1 right above the door, and 1 at the other end of the barrel.
"S" hook connects 8 ft chain to eyebolt, and is pinched closed.
Other end of chain goes over top rail and back down, here I use a chain link that screws open and closed, to attatch chain back throught itself.
This is how you can adjust the height of the front or the rear of the barrel from the ground. Just unscrew link to lengthen or shorten chain, then tighten back so it's secure.
I like the front about 8 inches from the ground and the rear about 10 inches.
This way if water gets in them it all drains to the front of the barrel where there is a drain hole drilled.
The dogs seem to get in the very back, so I want the water running out the front.
Sure makes it easier on jls41 when she hoses out the kennels.

www.wildboarusa.com
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading!" unknown
Bacon is a vegetable!
Hogboy
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:34:22 pm »

I have seen some that take the cut out for the door opening and add a hinge. This makes sort of a doggie door, which is nice in the winter months and can be tied open the rest of the year.

slimpickins
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:52:01 pm »

None of my potlickers are smart enough, they'd all freeze. Grin

www.wildboarusa.com
Bacon is a vegetable!
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »

There used to be another board under the back of that barrel.  Not quite sure what happened to it but you get the picture. Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:12:22 pm by pig snatcher » Logged
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:02 pm »

None of my potlickers are smart enough, they'd all freeze. Grin

I have one who is too stupid to get in his house at all.

The rest of them all crawl in, role up in a ball, push hay up to block the wind from coming in the door and sleep nice and cozy..... This moron roles up in a ball just outside the house and shivers all day and night.

The good news is that I have not had to replace his bedding all winter 

Steve
yellowdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 06:26:06 pm »

Dogs tied out. Thinking about some sort of frame to put barrel in and having a platform on top. I like the chains holding the barrel up and mounted sideways in the kennel.
Boar Collector
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:44 pm »

I drive down re bar on each side of the barrell and wire the tops together and also one In the back

"Them pigs can run.. but they'll only die tired"
yellowdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:20:22 pm »

Good idea.
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »

Dogs tied out. Thinking about some sort of frame to put barrel in and having a platform on top. I like the chains holding the barrel up and mounted sideways in the kennel.

A friend of mine has this way.  Take a piece of pipe and weld a large peice of channel iron on top like a T, with the channel facing up.  Put a ring over your pipe and drive it on the ground, leaving the channel about two feet off the ground. Mount the barrel on top, cradled in the channel.  Then attach your chain to the ring on the pipe. You will have a STURDY tie out stake and a dog house they cant tip over all in one.

Have not seen this myself but was told about it so not sure how well it works.  They said to dig a hole big enough to set a barrel in standing up so that a about half of it is burried.  Put the barrel in it standing up.  Cut a hole for the dog to go in a few inches above ground level to keep water out.  Then fill the bottom of the barrel with bedding and mount a peice of plywood on top for the dog to get up on and to block rain from getting in the barrel.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:10:16 am »

A friend of mine has this way.  Take a piece of pipe and weld a large peice of channel iron on top like a T, with the channel facing up.  Put a ring over your pipe and drive it on the ground, leaving the channel about two feet off the ground. Mount the barrel on top, cradled in the channel.  Then attach your chain to the ring on the pipe. You will have a STURDY tie out stake and a dog house they cant tip over all in one.

Have not seen this myself but was told about it so not sure how well it works.  They said to dig a hole big enough to set a barrel in standing up so that a about half of it is burried.  Put the barrel in it standing up.  Cut a hole for the dog to go in a few inches above ground level to keep water out.  Then fill the bottom of the barrel with bedding and mount a peice of plywood on top for the dog to get up on and to block rain from getting in the barrel.

sounds like water would still get in no matter what Huh?

We took suckle rod and made cradles for the barrels to set in for bird dogs. Got them off the concrete and made spraying out easier. I like the iDeer about the post and channel, sounds like it's dummy proof (even though typing that I know I'll get one someday that will prove me wrong:D:D:D:D)

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
So Oklahoma Cur Dogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:31:50 am »

You aint a redneck untill you've shot a gun in the house.
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:43 pm »

Slim's method works great Krystal.  He sent me some pics couple years ago and I did the same.  Just replaced all my barrels again with same setup.  Only mods I made was I cut smaller openings(doors) and left a bigger lip on bottom of doors to hold the bedding in.  No complaints here Grin  I just used small chain and eye hooks with a fender washer.  Holds all the dogs fine, even my big ole meat headed dogs....  I know its hard to see but here is my set up.

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »

Does anyone cut a half moon just above the centerpoint of the barrel or is the square entry better for holding heat in? Mine I just cut like I said and the dogs like them, got the door facing away from where most of the rain and cold weather comes from and they curl right up

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »

I cut a halfmoon on top of my entry holes.  Not sure if it makes any difference, just seen it on other barrels and did to mine.  All my barrels face the south to keep the North wind out as well, the roof on the kennels help keep the rain out..

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: