September 21, 2024, 05:57:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ruff dogs what u think  (Read 1687 times)
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:07 am »

a GOOD pack of ruff dogs should catch the pig not kill or destroy it . imo that pack is outta control . ruff dogs may kill baby pigs and a few shoats but geeeez  now i'll go back and read all the post

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:50:10 am »

bunch of good advice allready givin . when i ran my ruff dogs all i would run is a pair of dogs and a pup in training if there ruff thats all you need . and this was before i started using catch dogs . of course sometimes you wish you had 20 dogs on the ground .but thats huntin  Grin

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Bigdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:02 am »

letting dogs catch wen ur not close is how dogs get killed,ideal for me is to b 15 to 20 feet from hog wen i send catch dog.i like to b rite behind the bulldog to get controll of the hog to help keep my dogs from getting cut..my dogs r not ruff but will catch if other dogs get to ruff.i like mild bay dogs,ill do the catching if they do there part.its alot easier to get a catch dog than a good find dog.using rcd is a dasaster wating to happen,thats just me.
jalston
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:31 am »

alot of it is recent rain we hunt on foot it seems as though the pigs cross all the creeks and slews and plowed fields we are not getting to them quick enough. i think i will cut back one dog at a time ...i'm afraide if we get on a big bad one i want have enough firepower "dogs" however anything under 225 i have to much. i need to find a happy medium. thanks 4 all the advise      Jim
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 12:18:04 pm »

2 rough dogs and a catchdog big enough to handle any pig would be my ideal. If they split, I expect the cur to hold that bay until the catchdog comes. However long that takes.

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »

most people run to many dogs and they put to much pressure on the hogs.dont know why n e body would lead a bulldog wen there so easy to train to follow u,i never lead one to much work.
  coud'nt agree more . mr garmin has made it very easy to have an idea what your dogs are doing .just because when you get to the pig your dog is having a chew dos'nt mean its a good dog

new zealand dogger
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

most people run to many dogs and they put to much pressure on the hogs.dont know why n e body would lead a bulldog wen there so easy to train to follow u,i never lead one to much work.
  coud'nt agree more . mr garmin has made it very easy to have an idea what your dogs are doing .just because when you get to the pig your dog is having a chew dos'nt mean its a good dog

Are you refering to bulldogs or cur dogs? If my bulldog is caught and holds the hog long enough for me to get there then in my mind they did their job! I do agree that just because a cur dog is caught or chewing on a hog with the bulldog then that doesnt necessarily make them good dogs.

pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 05:27:59 pm »

Are you refering to bulldogs or cur dogs? If my bulldog is caught and holds the hog long enough for me to get there then in my mind they did their job! I do agree that just because a cur dog is caught or chewing on a hog with the bulldog then that doesnt necessarily make them good dogs. was;nt refering to any particular type of dog just the job or role the dog was actually doing.if u went past some roadworks u may find 15 people how many are contributing in a constructive way to the task;

new zealand dogger
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

rough all the way.my.02

Monty Bennet
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »

rough all the way.my.02
Grin

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »

I run gritty dogs, to the extreme that one dog will bay a bad one, send him one more cur and its a caught hog (or tore up dogs from tryin).  If i run more than that they will try to catch any and everything.  Id definately try cuttin back on the number of dogs on the ground.
skunkhounds
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 08:46:07 am »

i use five really rough dogs and produce pork with them and all my hogs are alive when i get to them i use cur x pit and bmc .

Let's make a round
jalston
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:03 am »

i run bmc and 3 curr-cross no catch dogs as per say           2 out of the 4 will try most under 200  the other 2 will try as soon as theh have help      Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: