October 17, 2024, 04:57:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cow dogs  (Read 615 times)
Riley W
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

I have a blue heller that's 7 months old and I won't to try and start her on cows but don't have a clue on we're to start could u guys plz help me

" I don't think you understand they killed my dog mister "-Shooter
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:27 pm »

You need a set of dry cows. Dog broke would be the best. I had heelers years ago, some are head dogs but most are drive dogs, straight heel.

at 7 months I would just let him have a look at some cattle and see what happens. Ride (walk in the bunch and push out a single and see what intrest he has, look at the cattle you want him to engage. Reinforce the good, ignore the bad. Let him have some fun but don't let him get over loaded with tough cattle.

SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »

i would start with gettin him familiar with the cows. let him sniff and like paul said, positive reinforcement and corrective reinforcement should be used. i had collies so i worked them different.

alot of it will come by instinct

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »

Putting her down with a seasoned cow dog would be a good start. You just don't want her to get rolled up just yet though.
Riley W
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:49:36 pm »

Ok I walk her around cows every other day and I thought about seein if a buddy will let me try and work her with a calf and see what she does thanks guy for responding to me

" I don't think you understand they killed my dog mister "-Shooter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: