October 07, 2024, 02:26:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tips and advice appreciated  (Read 412 times)
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »

i have an extensive background with swine genetics with seaboard farms which was 100% ai, and i know totally different from wild hogs. i went and originally purchased very young 2 sow and 3 boars. well after putting the 1st sow in the pen i realized my panels needed modifying lol. i now have 3 boars and 1 sow.....the 2 youngens look to be maybe 2-3 months old and the 2 bigger ones look to be 3-4 months old. my intentions is to get an even number of sows to boars which the pairs will be seperated. im going to breed and raise them for the purpose of keeping 2-3 out of a litter for slaughter and give the rest away. now that ive gotten that out of the way sorry it took so long....what im wanting to know is, is there any tips or advice as to getting them to calm down a bit i know their young and used to being wild..i know yall may call me nuts but at seaboard you could have a barn full of hollering hogs, turn on a radio and 5 minutes later silence. going to try that with these but also looking for help or tips form some of yall that have done what im attempting to do
7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

I had a sow have some babys and i kept two trophy hogs a boar and barr and a few sows in a huge pen an we would pen up the big hogs where we could get in there and catch the pigs and mess with them  an they would eventually calm down and being 15 n my dad has hog hunted forever i showed pigs and had a young one around that age really spooky and i went out there everyday and threw food to her and tried to get her to calm down and she did it just takes a lil time and effort to the pigs

-Cowgirl up or go sit in the truck-
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

they will get to be calm just keep feeding them and hanging out around the pen  . i brought in wild young pigs to my pen and after a while i could let them out to roam around the farm . and all it took to get them back in the pen was to rattle a bucket of corn  or sick the pups on them .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: