October 07, 2024, 06:36:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk Hunting and Dogs that get out  (Read 1700 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:09:40 pm »

How many you boys walk hunt a majority of the time and hunt dogs that will get out 3/4 Mile to a Mile on a regular basis?

Whether its running a track or already struck and just sticking (bottom).

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »

That is my way of hunting down in Florida, strictly walk hunt! We hunt small 300 acre parcels to 30,000 acre parcels and just pick em' apart. We catch a lot of hogs that other ways of hunting would just pass right on by. I look for the thickest of the thick and and go to it! Our dogs range around 100-200 yards during normal hunting but once they find a track we have had them go well over a mile. They will stick with one until they get it stopped and caught. We have a lot of hogs that wear "NIKES" around our parts so the dogs are yUse to taking a track that long just about every time they strike one.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »

That's us... Only way we can hunt... No wheelers, and lots of fences. We have to get permission from surrounding land owners just to be able to hunt a property. Dogs get gone from time to time. We've had dogs go up to 4 miles before as a bird flys, and those are the hard trips! But that's why they call it hunting! Chit, Fred took a track last weekend .96, and started heading back to check back in so went back to the truck and cut him off at the road. That's not what happens all the time though, and if they find an area they like they will work it hard to make sure they are not missing anything. That same trip they went back over their own tracks three times... Looked like they were trying to work something out, but never struck anything. Felt confident leaving the place knowing there weren't any hogs around within at least 1500+ yards. None of our properties are really big either which is why we talk to surrounding landowners to at least get permission to get dogs off... Won't drop there but will damn sure go get the dogs.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »

Well...that's me too, and as of yet...I don't have very many large properties. Just a couple and then the public land. Never really wanted a long range dog...considering my hunting style, but....a good dog ain't always easy to come by....guess ill keep him  Grin

Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »

That's me. My places aren't huge but fair and now I try to stay as close to transportation as I can lol

Seth Gillespie
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »

No way possible to stay walking on a full hunt without wheelers or horses.

Won't ever see em again until next week and two counties away. Lol

I will admit it is difficult on smaller properties ....but I cannot attest looking at a HUNTING dogs arse unless he is passing through at a high lope.
kerreydw
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:54:30 pm »

I will admit it is difficult on smaller properties ....but I cannot attest looking at a HUNTING dogs arse unless he is passing through at a high lope.
i agree its very hard to keep up with rangy dogs on foot esp. if you have 2 bays a half a mile or so away from each other happend to me yesterday i was very tired by the time i got  to both bays. also a good way to get dogs killd
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »

Some of the properties I hunt that is the only way I can hunt them. The dogs I have now range out 200-400yds hunting, and when they strike a hog they will pull out easily over a mile. I use to have longer ranging Fl Curs that were real rough. They would hunt 400-700yds. When they were hunting out that far and then struck something and pulled out you better be ready to run 1-1.5mi real quick!! Even on the properties I am able to bring a vehicle I get out and follow my dogs.

I do not have to walk them to any hogs, I follow them when their hunting. Alot of people think if you are walk hunting you are walking the dogs to the hogs, but that is not the case. No different then roading them or driving around till you find some sign to drop them. the dogs have to find, stop, and catch their own or they take a dirt nap!!

When I hunt with a weapon I like to stalk through the woods and hunt. Hate sitting on my a$$ when I hunt regardless if its hog dogging or deer hunting!!! Run and Gun!!!
monster
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »

The only way I hunt is walk hunt. My dogs go from 200 to 500 yrds hunting burning down the woods and they will go and stick with a runner till it stops. Thats the only thing I hate cus I hate chasing them lol... My dogs usually wear it out before it gets to far because they try to catch. All my dogs are rough.

"Only the strong survive"
crackae11
Strike Dog

Sketchum Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:33 pm »

That is my way of hunting down in Florida, strictly walk hunt! We hunt small 300 acre parcels to 30,000 acre parcels and just pick em' apart. We catch a lot of hogs that other ways of hunting would just pass right on by. I look for the thickest of the thick and and go to it! Our dogs range around 100-200 yards during normal hunting but once they find a track we have had them go well over a mile. They will stick with one until they get it stopped and caught. We have a lot of hogs that wear "NIKES" around our parts so the dogs are yUse to taking a track that long just about every time they strike one.
x2

Cowboy Up !
Taylorharris.1991
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:40 am »

X2
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:24 am »

I do a lot of walk/sit hunting. Drop the dogs and let them do their thing. I wont walk or drive to them unless they are sitting down solid and I am pretty sure they will be sitting when I get there. Early on I made the mistake of always taking off at the sound of a bay. This made for long walks only to have to take off walking another direction if they broke. Couple of my dogs are very rangy and have "get you in trouble bottom". I let them do the work now and when I think they are sitting for good I head to them.

I love the fact that my dogs will cover a LOT of ground without me moving from my seat. I hunt with a buddy that road hunts and I will leave my dogs in the box til we stop and then I let them go hunt. They tend to cover less ground while were moving and I don't want them getting used to following the buggy and hoping we run across a fresh track or they wind something. I like them to go find it!
Irondog87
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »

Walk hunts all the time for me unless I'm invited with a few friends that have sxs. On the small land we hunt the short to medium range dogs do great already caught 25-30 this year and haven't even hunted as hard as we did last year. Dogs are getting more rest and performing better. We will walk for a little but and if we see the close range dogs start to range out we stop and wait.. Wait.. And make them hunt cuz the scent is there and they just need to work out the track. 90% of the time we night hunt. Mainly because the huge amount of people running the hogs during the day, the hogs tend to stay well out of reach in daylight but come out and play at night thinking its safe Evil

!YELLA PRIDE!
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:06:36 pm »

I can walk, drive, or cast and go eat lunch, and my jade dog will get out that far and then some weather she is on a track, a hog rear, or just huntin for some sign. If she is on a track or has struck, she don't stop till there is a hog sittin still, at least she hasn't yet.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Melonhead
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:02:07 am »

I started out walk hunting, still do sometimes - still do sometimes. My Florida cur gyp makes it hard - she's normally a mile out 20 mins after she hits the ground.
Wheeler makes it more relaxing, lol
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »

I started out walking. I refuse to walk just about. Call me lazy or whatever. I like having my wheeler close by. If a dog gets hurt a mile from the truck the last thing I want to do is have to carry it back and waste time.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:03:31 pm »

I started out walking. I refuse to walk just about. Call me lazy or whatever. I like having my wheeler close by. If a dog gets hurt a mile from the truck the last thing I want to do is have to carry it back and waste time.

Heck...I'd ride to if I could.....but.....my best place is public w/ no vehicle access.

M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:34 am »

i dont walk but the land i choose to hunt or ranchs i pick to hunt have rds, iv turned down alot of places because you have to walk and im not going to walk my dogs on hogs. i dont like being on foot and the dogs get away. i guess im lazy , but it was the way i was taught catching hogs off the hood.

Monty Bennet
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:03 am »

i dont walk but the land i choose to hunt or ranchs i pick to hunt have rds, iv turned down alot of places because you have to walk and im not going to walk my dogs on hogs. i dont like being on foot and the dogs get away. i guess im lazy , but it was the way i was taught catching hogs off the hood.

Ain't nothing wrong with THAT Monty! Lol, I just don't have that many places to hunt....I ain't turnin nothing down! Lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: