October 25, 2024, 03:27:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs sprayed by skunk  (Read 906 times)
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:05:27 am »

Ok so my dogs busted out of their kennel last night and I didn't find them until this morning. Anyways my redbone got sprayed by a skunk. If anyone knows how to get rid of off her please let me know! Any and all help will be appreciated

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:12:59 am »

I heard of a peroxide and baking soda mixture but don't know if it works . the tomato juice don't . basically a good scrubbing and time  lol   don't ya just love huntin dogs  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18:13 am »

Scent is absorbed thru the skin and expelled down the spine. If you want to get rid of it really fast, take a pair of clippers and shave a strip from the tip of the tail all the way to the dogs head.

Best way I've seen yet

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:11 am »

I heard of a peroxide and baking soda mixture but don't know if it works . the tomato juice don't . basically a good scrubbing and time  lol   don't ya just love huntin dogs  .

I have used the peroxide, baking soda and dish soap mixture many times. (my trashy dogs love skunks lol) It works better than anything else I have tried.
Brad W.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

They sell something at pets mart. Called natures best or something like that. It works great.
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:53:49 am »

Yes the joys of dogs lol. I'm gonna try the peroxide first then try the stuff at pets mart. She smells horrible I gotta do something

hogdogger98
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 01:31:39 pm »

My dog best dog does not trash during the day but at night he likes skunks he's caught 2 this year.. I just let it wear off!!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »

Also you can do a 50/50 mix of clorox and water and use a paintbrush to apply it to their hair, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then spray them off with a garden hose.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:03 pm »

Unless its a house dog, I wouldn't worry too much. The smell will fade away in a few days by itself. Take it from me, we had a dog that couldn't pass a skunk up. When he would bay it, the others would help him. Our she pack would get sprayed on a regular basis until that dog passed away. Not sure why but lots of hog dogs love a skunk.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:38:29 pm »

Unless its a house dog, I wouldn't worry too much. The smell will fade away in a few days by itself. Take it from me, we had a dog that couldn't pass a skunk up. When he would bay it, the others would help him. Our she pack would get sprayed on a regular basis until that dog passed away. Not sure why but lots of hog dogs love a skunk.
Hmm hopefully its gone I'm a few days. Not saying she wouldnt but I've taken her hunting quite a bit and she's never messed with a skunk or anything like that. She does like deer a lot. But here lately we've had bad skunk problems around the house. Our land butts up against a hunting club and they come from there. Maybe she ran into one in the yard

creynolds
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »

Natures Miracle Skunk Remover! I SWEAR by it and you can get it at the big corporate pet stores like Petco, Pet Smart, etc. I had a ruff coat terrier skunked bad right before a 16hr road trip and you couldn’t smell her in the cab during the ride. Skunk stink comes out of the skin over time so it comes back a little bit after a few days but will “remove” (not cover) the stink 90% for a few days and cut the odor to 75% for the remaining time.

Put gloves on first! I used one quart to one 20 pound dog (buddy recommended) so I guess two or three quarts on a cur. Soak him in it and rub it in good it is binding to the oil. Then let him dry… do not let him shake off the extra I tied his neck up tight to a low limb so he couldn’t lick of lay down till its dry. Once he is dry wash off the Natures Miracle Skunk Remover with Dawn soap (pick a scent if you like) and don’t skimp this is washing off the broken down oil and rinse VERY well.

If you stuff your nose in the fur you can smell it but at arms reach I wouldn’t have even known it had happened.

Above treatment does absolutely nothing for skunked cut gear.
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:47 pm »

It seems to be going away but I'm gonna check out that stuff. Is it common for the dog to get sick from being sprayed? She's not eating very much, acting sluggish and has a little diarrhea

Brad W.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »

Natures Miracle Skunk Remover! I SWEAR by it and you can get it at the big corporate pet stores like Petco, Pet Smart, etc. I had a ruff coat terrier skunked bad right before a 16hr road trip and you couldn’t smell her in the cab during the ride. Skunk stink comes out of the skin over time so it comes back a little bit after a few days but will “remove” (not cover) the stink 90% for a few days and cut the odor to 75% for the remaining time.

Put gloves on first! I used one quart to one 20 pound dog (buddy recommended) so I guess two or three quarts on a cur. Soak him in it and rub it in good it is binding to the oil. Then let him dry… do not let him shake off the extra I tied his neck up tight to a low limb so he couldn’t lick of lay down till its dry. Once he is dry wash off the Natures Miracle Skunk Remover with Dawn soap (pick a scent if you like) and don’t skimp this is washing off the broken down oil and rinse VERY well.

If you stuff your nose in the fur you can smell it but at arms reach I wouldn’t have even known it had happened.

Above treatment does absolutely nothing for skunked cut gear.

That's the stuff I was thinking of. It works great but a little pricey
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »

It seems to be going away but I'm gonna check out that stuff. Is it common for the dog to get sick from being sprayed? She's not eating very much, acting sluggish and has a little diarrhea

We never had any get sick from skunks. Maybe she is allergic. Heck ours would play tug of war with the skunk after it was dead and then roll on it.  Huh?  and the funny thing is that while our eyes would be watering and we would be gagging, the same dogs that just got sprayed would go find us a hog. I don't know how they could smell anything but they did.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 11:06:14 pm »

We never had any get sick from skunks. Maybe she is allergic. Heck ours would play tug of war with the skunk after it was dead and then roll on it.  Huh?  and the funny thing is that while our eyes would be watering and we would be gagging, the same dogs that just got sprayed would go find us a hog. I don't know how they could smell anything but they did.

Im in the same boat... LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: