October 28, 2024, 05:31:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German Shorthair....  (Read 930 times)
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

Anyone use these dogs or has anyone hunted with one?? I just got a pup and would like to hear about some of your experiences with these dogs. Good or bad.

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »

I went hunting with one last week.  A guy just around the corner from me has dogs that I was pretty sure where hog dogs judgeing by the cut collers lol anyways long story short his is a hunting sucker and he showed me some pics of some of the hogs they have caught that he said he had struck.  dog stayed out about 100 to 500 yards and would check in about every 5 mins or so once he trailed out to about 800 but came back. 
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:18:06 pm »

forgot this was a gsp I have heard there is a difference in a german shorthair and a german shorthair pointer and did not see the dog on a pig was a dry run
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:24:08 pm »

I have heard there is a difference in a german shorthair and a german shorthair pointer

They are one in the same.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
dgdawsonBMCs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »

Yes, they are the same....There is a German Wirehaired Pointer well.. Although less popular...
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »

ok well sorry on the miss info I was always under the impression they were different and had a guy that has a couple tell me that he had one german shorthair and then a gsp
jeffeasttx
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:10 pm »

I have a german shorthair pointer gyp, i have never had her in the woods actually hunting, i have drug a few hogs and tied them , and she found them in no time. She is a little rough with a hog, no matter what size. if the hog just stands there, it's like she is pointing at it, but as soon as it moves she is sinking some teeth in it's back end. im going to start taking her right after deer season, and really start training her hard. she has a good handle on her, and she is also pretty quick. she has already been cut a few times in a pen, but doesn't show that it bothered her, she had no quit in  her so far

TDHA MEMBER
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:10:28 pm »

I have a buddy south of me that is hunting a Fla cur/GSH cross and he says it is jam up. I am waiting until it cools off a little to see for myself. He said the only thing he doesn't like about the dog is it can't stand still...ever. Said its like a regualr cur dog on crack.... Shocked

He wants it to ride the buggy and wind off it but the dog won't stay on the buggy has to run everywhere. He said it is gritty and seems to have a good nose.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
raider54
Hog Catching Machine

Giving BULLDOGS a New Name

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:54 am »

D, I got a huntin buddy near College Station that has a half GSP half cur but looks like a GSP color and all. He is just over a year old and has probably found 30 hogs he hunts like a bird dog, whech ever way you are headed he will drift back and forth on a dead run! about 200 yards in front of you, about  the same left and right. He offered me the dog about7 or 8 months ago for 5oo dollars now he wont take fifteen. He is makin one heck of a dog. Gritty aint the word for him, he is nasty

I TALK ALOT OF SMACK-COME GO WITH ME AND I'LL SHOW YOU IT ISNT ALL SMACK

Facebook Check Out-Hog Hunting Texas Style
See our web site www.XXXtremehogdoggin.com
Crazy8
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »

i used to hunt a registerded german shorthair on quail,pheasant,hungarain partridge-she was the jack of all trades they are really smart dogs.

Bayin dogs, squealin hogs its all in a good days work!
curdogsforhogs
Bay Dog

GOLDEN CREEK CATAHOULAS AND BMCS

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:29:30 pm »

Hunted mine today...man he is the hardest working dog on my yard...he don't know the word stop and take a break...didn't get opn any this morning...old sign and too humid and hot for me maybe not the dogs...saw him stand up on his back legs trrying to wind in the tall briars...

curdogsforhogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: