September 19, 2024, 06:06:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCD ?S  (Read 1143 times)
nosightsneeded
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2009, 08:17:26 pm »

I WAS WANTING TO HEAR SOME TIPS/INFO ON TRAINING OR HANDLING A RCD PUP.  TIPS THAT PEOPLE WHO RUN RCDS USE OR HAVE FOUND WORKS WELL FOR THEM.ONLY REPLY IF YOU USE RCD ON A REGULAR BASIS.

I HAVE LOOK THROUGH THE ARCHIVES AND SEEN SOME GOOD QUESTIONS BUT ALOT OF POST HAVE BEEN OVER TAKEN BY PEOPLES PERSONAL OPINION ON THEM AND NOT THE SUBJECT AT HAND.

IF DONT BELEIVE IN THEM OR DONT LIKE THEM PLEASE DONT POST. IAM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING IT.

jeffeasttx
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:18 pm »

the only catch dog i had a for 3 years was a rcd, he was 3/4 pit, and 1/4 brindle cur, weight about 65lbs, he was fast, smart, and had a very good handle. He had found hogs for me many times. if he saw a hog, u might as well get your muletape ready, he was going to catch it. i liked the rcd, mainly because my dogs aren't long range dogs, and when they bayed he was going to catch, i think it ended alot of them running hogs. i tried to lead him in a few times and i noticed that it would take longier to get the hog stoped. now if u had long range dogs, i think having a rcd could be a little more dangerous, due to the fact of it taking u so long to get to the bay, who knows how long the catch dog is there caught before u get there. that's what i have experienced from a rcd. i also think it takes a smartier more obidient dog to be a rcd dog, compared to a lead in catch dog

TDHA MEMBER
W-tate
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34:26 pm »

I agree. Good way to go with short to medium range. So u can get there fast  I am a fan of a deep chested cahoula crossed with a leggy Pitt. Or a dogo.  Or dogo x.  I have always wondered about a rough catch catahoula on a dogo

Well, the devil made me do it the first time The second time I done it on my own
Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man And help me leave that black rose alone
nosightsneeded
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:26:23 pm »

what about raising them? any different than a cur. besides the handle. I understand that to have a large dog running around potentially a bad situation. I would think that you would have to work on alot of commands that you wouldnt for a cur.
jeffeasttx
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:32:54 pm »

not a lot different really. most of my dogs have a pretty good handle, i can call them to me and them walk beside horse, fourwheeler. the hardiest thing i think was to keep him from wanting any other kind of animal that runs. at first he would try to catch anything that would move, that's when i had to  teach him to stay beside me without being on a lead, then once he realized he wasn't supposed to catch anything but a hog, i would let him venture off. then he realized he could use his nose on a hot track, but the problem with that is when he got to a hog, he didn't bark he just caught. then i had to start making him stay beside me at all times, until they bayed then he was full steam ahead

TDHA MEMBER
W-tate
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »

agree they are just like a good curr or cat they gotta know there job

Well, the devil made me do it the first time The second time I done it on my own
Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man And help me leave that black rose alone
WOOD
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:53 am »

i run 1 rcd along with my bay dogs.  there are only two suggestions that i have is either run a tracking collar on the dog or run a dog that will not catch but just bay when others catch.  the reason is so you can find them when they are caught. 
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:02:52 am »

i run 1 rcd along with my bay dogs.  there are only two suggestions that i have is either run a tracking collar on the dog or run a dog that will not catch but just bay when others catch.  the reason is so you can find them when they are caught. 

Exactly what i was going to say, or you can run a garmin.

John Esker
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »

he has a garmin did yall break them off of trash the same way you would a bay dog or something else.  also the handly you have on your two now I would think you will have a rcd trained pretty quick lol.
txmaverick
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:21 pm »

when i ran RCds I would break them off everything just like a main start dog, you have to. I didnt treat them any diff than any other start dog except for how I started them.

I have a full blood catahoula now that if I vest him he knows his job has changed and he catches like any bull dog, without his vest he is not as brave and will bay a big boar.

To me a RCD is not a dog that stays with you or beside you, a true RCD is out with the start dogs at all times, ready to catch anything they start no questions asked.      JMO      So they need to be broke as good or better than any other dog.

There are many types of CDs; lead into bay, walk into bay (stays with you until sent), send from start (sent as soon as something barks or bays, no matter how far out), then RCDs. When I used RCDs I wanted whatever was started caught as soon as it was started, no race at all, so they needed to be out there with the start dogs.

All my RCDs were 1/2 catahoula 1/2 pit. I won't go into why I stoped doing that..........

jeffeasttx
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »

i broke him off trash the same way i do my curs, i did have a instance when a guy i was hunting with had some youngier dogs that bayed a black calf in a corner and  my rcd was headed that way, luckly i bet him since i was on a 4wheeler, and got him before he got to the calf. i don't know if he would have done anything or not. but i have had him run right through a group of cows and never even look at them.

TDHA MEMBER
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: