September 19, 2024, 10:53:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gordon BENEFIT tournament.  (Read 779 times)
Luke Seymour
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:23 pm »

Last year I hosted the 1st Gordon tournament.  Had a guy on this board step up and help with the rules ect. Even half arse stood up for the hunt when the crap hit the fan.
I had never been a part of any dog tournaments.  Lots of varmint tournaments.
He said "tell them poly will be there to keep them honest but don't worry about it"

Well I had lots of folks say they was coming to sign in.  I took that as "hey I'm there 100%"

I can highly understand last years folks that got upset.  Received proper feed back from some and some that was just jaw jacking. 

This year I thought I had it all figured out.   Arranged for polygraph with Sissy Williams.  Scheduled with her in sept/oct. confirmed in January and double confirmed with her a week prior.  At 1130am Sunday she called saying she wasn't gonna make cause it was starting to ice.  Had a bunch of great sponsors and a couple vendors come set up.
Only had 10 teams enter. Understandable after last years screw up.

Had a local man that I thought was a start to a decent friendship.  His wife is a teacher at Gordon school.
To help him out saving time I fronted the entry for him. We agreed at all cost he would be a weigh-in even if it was just to pay me.   Had he not shown up I personally would have been out entry and 1 side pot.
He did just like he said. He got there and paid me.  When he stepped out if the truck. Weighed his hog, it was a big boar.
Got everybody weighed in and I was counting and splitting up money.
Main entry was 50% pay out with 50% going to the livestock booster club. Side pots paid 100%.
So It took a bit to get everything separated out.

Had it separated winners all laid out when I realized the big boar side pot winner didn't have all 3 members. Called him into a private room and asked about the members.  He was 1 short. I let them go to the website and double check the rules.  Had to disqualify him.  NOT because myself or anyone else thought he was lying or cheating. For the simple fact that he didn't have all his members present like the rules state.
Another rule states all hogs must remain edible even if that requires Icing them down holding them live until you pull out for weigh-in.  His hog was more than questionable on the edible side.   To the point I was gagging over the rancid smell.

He said it was wrong that I disqualified him when the polygraph couldn't make it cause of the weather.  I asked him if he would like to take the hunters and get a vote. He said yes so we did.  Called a doggers meeting I explained and the local man explained.  His fellow hunters said rules are rules. I stuck out my hand, he walked off but his partner shook my hand and left.

Team 4R CUT GEAR got to weigh-in got out of the truck, shook my hand and said hey I know we are disqualified ! One of my helpers went home. 

10 entries, 6 showed up to weigh in and 2 of those was disqualified cause members didn't show up to weigh-in.

First place was roughly $700 plus 12-1500 in prizes.
Second was roughly 3-350 plus 750-900 in prizes.

Had 2 teams that took advantage of the 14 yrs and under free helpers. I have both set of kids collars, hobbles and leads.

fonzie
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:25:54 pm »

The way I look at it if rules are rules there should have been a polygraph as well.... Rules can't be bent for one thing and not the other... Not speaking them man who paid at the weigh in but that should have been done either all fees should be paid before the tournament starts no matter what... That's just my two cents...
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:47 pm »

Two years In a row you have advertised a polygraph and failed to deliver... Let me guess, I bet a guy from right in your neck of the woods won the tournament too.

I also bet that whoever had the second biggest boar through a fit about the "rules".

Just my opinion. The rules don't matter a whole lot when you advertise a polygraph and fail to deliver two consecutive times in a row.

Glad I wasn't able to hunt this thing.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Luke Seymour
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:50 am »

Partly correct Clolt.
1st was from south of Stepheville
2nd was east Tx
Boar was here locally. 

This year had nothing to hide !
Www.gordontexaswildhoghunt.org
The polygraph contact is posted all over it so anyone that's in question please contact Mrs Williams.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:30:20 pm »

Tcolt this group follows the rules they want to.

Last year it was, and I quote " I said we'd HAVE a polygraph here in case we needed it. I didn't say we'd use it."

That's the responsibly you take on when putting on a tournament. You should have given the teams a chance to opt out at weigh in and refund their $$ for the no show polygraph, especially 2 years in a row. I can't stand to see people taken advantage of and ripped off - especially for a benefit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: