June 26, 2024, 08:33:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching hogs and getting caught  (Read 343 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2024, 11:53:06 pm »

Well we had a plan. It was a good plan and it worked kinda. We cast dogs and knew that this particular set of woods was holding hogs and that their tendency was to leave those woods. The hole in their game plan sis that it’s a half a mile or better to the next set of woods. I told Deputy Dawg and Kohl that as soon as the dogs lit up I was going out away from the woods to intercept some of those runners. Sure enough, they came. The first one was a solo hog. I thought my nogo saw him but he didn’t. The guy that lives right there had some hounds that were raising a ruckus hearing our dogs baying. Apollo the nogo tried going to those dogs instead of the hog that was the same direction. Next came a group of about 4 sows and 15-20 shoats. I sent him again and he had a bead on the lead sow. He’s making ground, making ground, poof disappeared. Then his butt and hind feet reappeared and then they were gone. He hit a wash out that was covered by high grass and wiped out. So that was 2-0 for the hogs. Then another group of sows and pigs and a smaller boar come. I sent him again. He ran right past the small hogs to go to the biggest sow. Her timing was impeccable. She turned and slapped him just as he was coming in. She did that twice and the third time she thought she was leaving. She hit a little wet season creek and smoked her. Well, she backed up to the high bank the water is almost knee deep. The bottom was good but the top two or three inches at least were like walking on grease. I get down there and here she comes. Apollo is having trouble because the bottom is so  slick. I tried to push her off of me but she caught my boot and here I go down. I’m completely under water except for my head and one foot that she has in her mouth and shaking. I punched her off and managed to get up. She bit holes all in my boot. I tossed my phone and all up on the bank and went back in for more. This time the greasy bottom didn’t get me and Apollo had a better foot hold. She managed to lung at me but I eared up on the other side. I got hog hair all in my teeth. Just kidding, I didn’t really get hair in my teeth. I mashed her head down and got her hind leg and she was done. I had her tied pretty soon. Then I start looking and there’s a dead cow carcass about 50-60 feet up stream and down stream both. They weren’t real fresh but none the less they were there. I go get the buggy and get her loaded and untied then head over to Deputy Dawg and Kohl. They’ve been catching hogs all the while. Deputy Dawgs pup is really starting to get it figured out. He bayed two hogs on his own today and stayed bayed while the other dogs were all baying a different hog and then through the squealing when the catch dog caught. We called the dogs in and loaded them then went to Outlaw and Moon who were bayed. We caught that boar and loaded the dogs. I think we caught 7 good hogs and two shoats for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 02:46:42 pm »

Man you need a videographer. I would pay to see that video.. lol
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 03:48:45 pm »

Sounds like a pretty good hunt to me. Hot as it's been you probably needed to be refreshed a little bit. I bet Deptuy Dog had a talk with you about holding your end up a little better after he sent all those hogs your way. lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 07:02:40 pm »

WOW, she had a Madea attitude! I think she thought I was Joe.

Cajun, he couldn’t say much, I only had one bay dog on the ground but as usual, he was having to carry the load, lol.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 08:51:44 pm »

Sounds like some good hunting how you going to have fun without a little challenge good job fellas

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 10:48:18 pm »

Sounds like a heck of a hunt tdog.I ain't real big on border collies but I would probably feed that outlaw dog.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 12:44:03 pm »

It’s the lab in him that’s helping him excel right now. If we were herding ducks he be bred just right.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 07:06:32 am »

Sounds like good hunt glad you didn't let her get the best of you

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 07:32:18 am »

Since you told the story Im sure you won the battle..  but I bet the score card was close at some point..LOL...   Its harder to hold on to the belt the older we get though....  hehehe

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 10:00:01 am »

Now that’s a wild hunt, the next thing to consider is if you need to add a snorkel and mask to all the other hunting gear when you hit that ranch the next time.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 10:41:25 am »

I wasn’t afraid of getting beat up. I was afraid of getting beat up by a girl, lol. I originally thought she was a he when was looking down at her from the bank. When she tilted her head to look at me with that old side eye I could see that she had those inch long teeth but they were heavier like a boar hogs. My dogo is tall. I would guess 27 inches or better at the withers. She was a good bit taller than him. Age definitely is catching up. I’ve caught and hunted by myself plenty. I tied a Barr hog solo with only one GREEN catch dog on him years ago. He was easily four hundred +. I called for my dad and two nephews to come help me get him loaded in the trailer. That was four pretty dang stout dudes picking up and it was a lot for us. I don’t remember having nearly as much trouble with him as I did this sow. I don’t remember being as sore the next day either. When asked how I got sow skinned up and bruised, I can’t tell’em it’s from a little ole sow. I tell them it’s from the grizzly bear that was chasing her and wanted to take her from me after I had already done all the work to tie her. They say oh yeah, how’d that go for ya. I just tell’em I gotta bear skin rug outta the ordeal!

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 10:45:40 am »

Well there is one thing that isn't slowing down with your age, your imagination is as sharp as ever. Lol
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 09:06:11 am »

I wasn’t afraid of getting beat up. I was afraid of getting beat up by a girl, lol. I originally thought she was a he when was looking down at her from the bank. When she tilted her head to look at me with that old side eye I could see that she had those inch long teeth but they were heavier like a boar hogs. My dogo is tall. I would guess 27 inches or better at the withers. She was a good bit taller than him. Age definitely is catching up. I’ve caught and hunted by myself plenty. I tied a Barr hog solo with only one GREEN catch dog on him years ago. He was easily four hundred +. I called for my dad and two nephews to come help me get him loaded in the trailer. That was four pretty dang stout dudes picking up and it was a lot for us. I don’t remember having nearly as much trouble with him as I did this sow. I don’t remember being as sore the next day either. When asked how I got sow skinned up and bruised, I can’t tell’em it’s from a little ole sow. I tell them it’s from the grizzly bear that was chasing her and wanted to take her from me after I had already done all the work to tie her. They say oh yeah, how’d that go for ya. I just tell’em I gotta bear skin rug outta the ordeal!

Yeah,, thats a story Id stick with too man,,,   LOL.. I get sore doing laundry now...  Grin Grin

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: