September 28, 2024, 06:16:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunt with King Smitty  (Read 103 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2024, 11:38:49 am »

My buddy King Smitty and his son Prince Kase came and made a round with Deputy Dawg and I. It wasn’t a very good hunt but we laid hands on some pork. It sure didn’t do anything for my catch dog frustrations though. We drove up on a sow and shoat right away. We turned out on them just to fire both of his year old pups up. The shoat squatted and so it got caught. We schooled his pups for a minute and went and cast again. Outlaw and Ray were bayed in short order and his pups made their way to them. Some hogs broke for the creek but we didn’t get ahead of them quick enough to have a good bulldog race. We made our way to the bay. I went to see what we had and radioed them from 90 yards away to send the catch dogs. Of course Ranger runs a straight line and tries to run straight through the thick of the briars. Naturally he is hung up at the shoulder and is trying to catch the hog. It breaks and goes about .75 and we called the dogs back so we didn’t get on a neighbor that is a little iffy. Went and cast the dogs again and Outlaw gets bayed. The others get there, we send the catch dogs and BAM, caught hog. Then splash, it gets away and is in the creek and caught again. We stick it and Outlaw gets bayed again. It’s the sounder this time in some rolling briars. Send the catch dogs and catch a 5 pounder, if that. Dogs get bayed again and we busted it driving up too close. At this point the dogs are pretty warm and blowing. We catch them up and take them to water. Went to one more area and cast again. In about 30-45 seconds they were bayed on the opposite of the pond we cast at. Saw a couple smaller hogs break out but the dogs stayed bayed. Sent the catch dogs and they caught. Then they weren’t and splash, in the pond. The dogs were in hot pursuit except Ranger. He was smart enough to run around the edge and met the hog when he got to the edge. He’s caught! By the time we get there, literally seconds in my case, the hog was free and swimming again. He swam a few little circles but knew he was about to be drowned and came the the bank. The dogs grabbed and so did I. We stood and visited a bit and called it a hunt. I feel fortunate that my bay dogs didn’t get wrecked because of the poor catching.
The one that got away first and ended up in the creek.
The one that got away second and ended up in the pond.

King Smitty’s pups. They are litter mate brothers to Deputy Dawg’s Rooster pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: