October 28, 2024, 05:33:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blue pit bulls  (Read 6100 times)
hoghunter22
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:06:30 am »

has anyone heard that a blue pit will let go and quit if he get cut or hit real hard. ive had a guy tell me that and i just dont believe him but yet it is stuck in the back of my mind
ETHHunters
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:11:46 am »

I dont think color has alot to do with the way a pit catches I have one I just started and he is like the jaws of life he dont let go
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:19:42 am »

I have seen one with no heart, just as you describe, but I have two with jaws of death.

Each dog, no matter the color or breed, needs to be judged upon its own merit. No two are the same.

Steve
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:22:47 am »

I am not a bulldog expert and I will be the first to admit that. However, I have seen a lot of "pet" breeders raising and selling the blue pits and they sell for a lot of money...so more people raise them and sell them. These dogs are not used for anything but pets.

I feel anytime you breed for a single trait (such as color), the dog is likely to lose other characteristics. Look at most of the AKC breeds, very few of them can perform the tasks the breed was designed for, because they are now bred for color and to fit a standard "look". And most have lost performance.

Not to say no blue pits will catch, as I am sure some will, but I would be careful where mine came from if I were buying one......

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
CBH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:22 am »

I have a friend that has a blue male thats just been in the pen and he seems to go harder if the hog hits him a few times and you can't hardly get him off for nuthin. he is more leggy than those high dollar stumpy legged pits though.   
hogdoggerdude14
Strike Dog

hog doggin is what we do

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:40 am »

a dog is onlyas good as its trained

Hv
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:01 am »

a dog is onlyas good as its trained

you can't train heart.
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:45:18 am »

Well stated.

The last thing that I will rely on is a catch dog who had to be taught!

Steve
TJR89
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:58:39 am »

i have blue pit that actually came from a breeder. the first pig she ever saw was in the woods and she caught it. i dont think color has alot to do with anything just like any other breed that has variations in color

bay em son!
Yeller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 11:03:28 am »

I have a 5month blue gyp that came from Jughead007 I didn't mean for it to happen but she caught her first hog @ 4months old  My buddy has a blue gyp that I would trust to hold a elephant and she has a awsome handle too

Game Bred Texas Raised!
smoke42
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 12:11:36 pm »

I have a blue and is the best I have ever owned
Barticus
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:28:59 pm »

I don't think color has anything to do with it.
Caddo co. hog dog
Alpha Dog

"Everything that hath breath praise ye the Lord"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:58:57 pm »

to me.. judging a dog for its color is like judging a whole race for one mans ways. ya got goods and bads in every race and/or color. I learned to never judge a book nor person by its cover..

All things work together for the good for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 07:13:06 am »

" Will a ____ pit make a good cd?" ear and tail length dont matter either color is irelevent and where you got it from is of no consequence to me just make sure your dog locks in and wont let go till jesus comes back

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
jeffeasttx
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:25:42 pm »

I HAVE A BLUE AND WHITE PIT, AND A SOLID BLUE PIT THAT ARE MY ONLY 2 CD. i PUT 90 STAPLES IN HIM A MONTH OR SO AGO, AND PROBABLY 40 IN MY BLUE FEMALE AND HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THEM LETTING GO, I STILL HAD TO BREAK THEM OFF THE HOG. i DON'T IMAGINE IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOR OF THE DOG. MY MALE IS A PAPERED DOG THAT CAME FROM SHOW PARENTS, DOESN'T HAVE ANY HOG DOG PARENTS OR GRANDPARENTS AND HE IS DOING GREAT.

TDHA MEMBER
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 03:02:44 pm »

I did say that some blue pits will catch, I am referring to the back yard/ apartment breeder that is breeding "blue" pits as that is the hot color right now. Many are breeding just for that color as thats what is selling for big money.

I would rather have a red, brindle or spotted pit out of hog dog parents anyday, than buy a blue pit out of unproven stock....just to get the color. If he is blue out of working dogs then he will probably have as good a chance as any other color dog of making a catchdog. But if he is out of some apartment breeders blue pit that he takes to the dog park on Sat to show off...no thanks!!  But thats just my opinion and I am not in the market for a bulldog of any color...........

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
Beejay
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 03:37:09 pm »

I'm with cracker on this one, when you breed for a specific trait, you take away from other traits. I used to breed game dogs and when I would see a yard full of big pretty dogs I would turn and go home. You breed for looks and other traits suffer. In a bulldog the trait is gameness, cut and dry. I also believe you cannot train gameness(heart) it's bred in them. The funny thing is, 20 years ago there were no blue pits. This is my point, you don't breed years and years of black or brown or white dogs and all of a sudden blue dogs turn up. I believe the line of blue dogs are not the true gamebred pits of years ago. Something had to be crossed in to get the size and color they are today. One hundred pound blue dog, how did that happen! I believe people breeding these petbulls are ruining the best breed in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying blue dogs won't catch or will let go. I have seen a blue dog catch and hold. Just in the long run, it will destroy the true APBT. Just my opinion to each his own.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 04:24:49 pm »

Yeah beejay imo you're right on bout breeding for color or short legs or whatever, my neighbor breeds blues and I really see the line heading towards fat headed Basset hounds eventually.  That being said if somebody has a blue that's workin for you I ain't dissin it.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 12:26:35 am »

I'm with cracker on this one, when you breed for a specific trait, you take away from other traits. I used to breed game dogs and when I would see a yard full of big pretty dogs I would turn and go home. You breed for looks and other traits suffer. In a bulldog the trait is gameness, cut and dry. I also believe you cannot train gameness(heart) it's bred in them. The funny thing is, 20 years ago there were no blue pits. This is my point, you don't breed years and years of black or brown or white dogs and all of a sudden blue dogs turn up. I believe the line of blue dogs are not the true gamebred pits of years ago. Something had to be crossed in to get the size and color they are today. One hundred pound blue dog, how did that happen! I believe people breeding these petbulls are ruining the best breed in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying blue dogs won't catch or will let go. I have seen a blue dog catch and hold. Just in the long run, it will destroy the true APBT. Just my opinion to each his own.

Beejay,I agree w/ you.

Can blue dogs catch...yes but are they true APBT's? ....no,not historically,the y have "pine in the oak pile" not the real thing,too much other breeds infused for color,size etc.

I think everyone who owns any form of a APBT should study the old lines and game dogs and the history behind them.

Please understand this is for historical purposes only....also notice,no blue dogs.

Also,I didn;t pick the music,just the links for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nnF1AeY6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsh-7KlDLjQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7DuPve7yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPXE_JALTLY&feature=related

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:31:47 am by UNDERDOG » Logged

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 12:51:12 am »

I don't know much about blue pits nor do I know much about training dogs. I am an avid researcher and have implemented many techniques that are very common place on my first pup and all have held true. With that being said, the "gameness" aspect of a dog may be able to be taught if done correctly. For example, weight pulling dogs, mostly APBT's, have shown that those trained to pull for their owners satisfaction (gameness) regularly out perform those trained differently. Dogs who are trained to pull solely for the satisfaction of treats or some other reward have been shown to be very tempermental and give up easily....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: