October 04, 2024, 03:34:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 dead  (Read 2625 times)
shane
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:42:34 pm »

went hunting this morning with my 9 year old son and his friend,we turned the dogs lose and it was not long until they found a pig they ran it into a mans yard and caught it, the land owner shot both of my dogs before I could get there. His property buts up against my hunting club. Any one ever had this happen.
LILLWILL
Catch Dog

IT'S ABOUT PIG MONEY!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:53:40 pm »

WHAT THAT MAN DID IS ILLEAGAL,NOT TO MENTION BS BECAUSE YOUR YOUR YOUNGUNS WERE THERE. YOU WERE IN PURSUIT . FILE CHARGES ON HIM IF HE WANT DO WHAT IS RIGHT,IF NOT A HARD HEAD MAKES A SOFT A$$

I MAY NOT ALWAYS BE RIGHT, BUT ,I'M NEVER WRONG!
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »

Dammit son... I'd definitely like to see what the law had to say about that...   be real hard to stay cool in that situation....

I'm sorry.

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »

Please file charges. In the state of texas, it is illegal to shoot a trespassing dog unless it is actively attacking domestic livestock (deer and hogs don't count) or the land owner feared for his safety.

You have your boys as witnesses that the dogs were on a hog? File charges.

Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
brw7979
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member, WWT Offical Scorer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:43 pm »

Like already said, file charges on him. And if your a member of the TDHA they will help you out. Sorry for this happening to you. I dont think I'd been able to keep my cool when it came to that.

brw7979@yahoo.com
Cell-830-460-0405
TX HOG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:06 pm »

Please file charges. In the state of texas, it is illegal to shoot a trespassing dog unless it is actively attacking domestic livestock (deer and hogs don't count) or the land owner feared for his safety.

You have your boys as witnesses that the dogs were on a hog? File charges.

Cheers
M

X2. file charges. who else agrees he should file charges?
hog tied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »

Karma is a bitch, just remember that, and sometimes you have to help Karma out...get my drift...eye for an eye...my .02
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:53:53 pm by hog tied » Logged
TX HOG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

if people keep letting people get away with shooting dogs they will keep doing it. make an example of him.

and keep us updated on the outcome
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:54:23 pm by TX HOG » Logged
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »

if people keep letting people get away with shooting dogs they will keep doing it. make an example of him
Exactly.

Smiling like a killer
Skrag
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:01:26 pm »

I vote to file charges... atleast all in that area will be aware and your dogs wont get shot again.
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »

Yes, but the way to deal with this is through the legal system. As much as you would want to exact your own justice on this guy, just let the law handle the situation. It isn't worth going to jail over, and people already want us to look like uneducated hicks. Prove that we are upstanding citizens and deal with this matter legally. There are laws on the books just for this situation.

Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
hogdoggerdude14
Strike Dog

hog doggin is what we do

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 08:22:33 pm »

Man that guy realy must like hogs tearing up his
land to shoot 1 much less 2 dogs I hope he get his

Hv
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »

If you live in TX, you best get on the phone with the Sheriff and an attorney!

If you do not live in TX, I have no idea what your legal recourse is.

Steve
jls41
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:09 pm »

Definately file charges.  You need to contact the law as soon as you can to file a report while the event is fresh in your mind.  Keep us posted as well.

Jo Lynne Stark
LSWDA President & Charter Member
LILLWILL
Catch Dog

IT'S ABOUT PIG MONEY!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

YES SIR FILE CHARGES MAKE IT WELL KNOWN YOU WILL PROTECT YOUR INTEREST.YOU DIG IN A MANS WALLET DEEP ENOUGH HIS WIFE WILL STRAIGHTEN HIM OUT AND/OR TAKE WHATS LEFT ,DONT ACT LIKE HIM YOU ARE A BETTER PERSON

I MAY NOT ALWAYS BE RIGHT, BUT ,I'M NEVER WRONG!
shane
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »

thanks for all the replies and info.
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 04:28:36 pm »

Shane, I will give you some advise. Some of what has been posted here is incorrect. Feral hogs in the state of Texas are now considered "exotic livestock". Exotic livestock belongs to the person who's land it is standing on. So at the time your dogs were shot they were caught on a hog that was owned by the man that shot them. It is "not" against the law to shoot dogs that are in the act of attacking livestock or exotic livestock.

I am unhappy that this is the law, but you need to know.

You should contact law enforcement to make a report and also contact an attorney. There is always more to the story than can be posted here, so go forward with contacting local law enforcement and keep us updated. Feel free to send me a PM with anything I can help you with.

Thanks,
Paul T

SUBCHAPTER B. DOGS AND COYOTES THAT ARE A DANGER TO ANIMALS

Sec. 822.011.  DEFINITIONS.  In this subchapter:

(1)  "Dog or coyote" includes a crossbreed between a dog and a coyote.

(2)  "Livestock" includes exotic livestock as defined by Section 161.001, Agriculture Code.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Sec. 822.012.  CERTAIN DOGS AND COYOTES PROHIBITED FROM RUNNING AT LARGE; CRIMINAL PENALTY.  (a)  The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that the owner, keeper, or person knows is accustomed to run, worry, or kill livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may not permit the dog or coyote to run at large.

(b)  A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

(c)  Each time a dog or coyote runs at large in violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from Health & Safety Code Sec. 822.011 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Sec. 822.013.  DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS.  (a)  A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1)  any person witnessing the attack; or

(2)  the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b)  A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c)  A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d)  The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e)  A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from Health & Safety Code Sec. 822.033 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:59:43 pm by Silverton Boar Dogs » Logged

ocedy
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 04:55:59 pm »

sorry to hear about your dogs. I would been in jail. good thing you have some controll. i have had this happen to some rabbit dogs before. almost made me want to give up hunting. its a shame when someone has nothing better in life to do but to try and make someone feel bad by shooting a hunting dog. as you can see he is not worth the air he breaths. it was a time I would have said an eye for an eye, but not now. I will say this i hope he lives a long life. with out his good health. That will be more pain to him than anything else. please explain to those kids that everyone is not like that.

God Bless
ced
redneckrambo96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »

im really sorry to hear about that and how did you keep your cool i know i wouldnt have

"GET TO EM HAUSS"
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »

man that sucks.  i dont live in texas but in florida hogs are the property of the person who owns the piece of dirt they are standing on.  that being said it is not illegal to kill a dog on a hog if its on your property.  I would definately call your state attorney's office and speak with a prosecuting attorney as far as criminal charges go.  i would also contact a personal attorney, also if you sue you need damages so figure up how much youve spent on feed apiece for the duration you had the animals as well as shots, and any monies spent.  your probably better off in civil court than criminal court.  and whatever you do dont do anything stupid it will ruin any standing you have.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: