September 20, 2024, 03:54:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the ladies: BUNNIES!!!  (Read 3073 times)
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:52:48 am »

Guys, I know this will not interest you in the least so you might as well exit this thread now unless you want to be bored with girl talk. This is not about Playboy Bunnies, either - sorry to get your hopes up.

I have been trying since the first week of January to breed my pair of French Lops, Bopsy and Banjo. After Bopsy came up empty, I was really beginning to wonder if I was the only person on earth who could not be successful at breeding rabbits.

This morning, I came into the hen house and found that Bopsy had given birth to a beautiful litter of long eared French Lops. I would not have ever thought I would be this excited about some darned rabbits. I will try to get some good photos later. I still need to feel around and see how many I have, but I know I have a spotted or broken coat baby and what looks to be a blue like the sire. Their little ears are already longer than I would have expected. I expect them to be really cute and playful in the coming weeks.

Cheers!
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »

i had visions of gals with cotton tails , and bunny ears in my head as soon as i clicked my mouse   Grin

the last rabbits i raised the mom ate the babies when i handled them as new borns   Undecided

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »

i had visions of gals with cotton tails , and bunny ears in my head as soon as i clicked my mouse   Grin

the last rabbits i raised the mom ate the babies when i handled them as new borns   Undecided

same here on both counts........
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:03:43 pm »

Well, I have to admit that I had planned on keeping a doe from this litter and naming her holly or kendra!

Cheers
M

craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:14:18 pm »

chris must be a subscriber.   Grin

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:20:54 pm »

No, he's not a subscriber but we did manage to get a bunch of old copies. It is really funny flipping through a 1980's era playboy  Afro

I like the "girls next door" and the "kendra" shows on tv.

Cheers
M

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »

Cheers
M

I have "suffered" through many episodes of those shows with my wife, it is not all bad  Wink

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:41:33 pm »

No, he's not a subscriber but we did manage to get a bunch of old copies. It is really funny flipping through a 1980's era playboy  Afro

Cheers
M

You are cool with me lady!!! lol. Chris you are a lucky man!

I raised rabbits when I was younger. We had some French lops also but stopped breeding them. The just where not as tasty and even harder to skin than the Californian and Black Satin's we raised. LOL

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 01:50:54 pm »

Boar ninja,

I was going to raise some meat rabbits, but I am limited on time and space. With the french lops, the kids can have lovable rabbits to play with and at 10-15 lbs you don't worry about them being so frail. I had wondered if they were good to eat, but the ones I have now are pets. These are show quality rabbits (not market) and at some point if the girls got into showing 4H then they could take home a couple to condition and show. They live a bit far from us, and there really isn't another 4H critter they could have in a neighborhood. Chris and I won't raise animals for them to show - we think it defeats the purpose of kids raising critters. To date they have not taken an interest in showing in 4H but if they ever do, the genetics are here for working.

I think I have six at least. I didn't go digging around in there, just counted what I could make out from the side of the cage.

Cheers!
M

MachinesOldLady
Bay Dog

Just like it says - Machines Old Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »

Congrats on your bunch of bunnies!

BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »

Boar ninja,

I was going to raise some meat rabbits, but I am limited on time and space. With the french lops, the kids can have lovable rabbits to play with and at 10-15 lbs you don't worry about them being so frail. I had wondered if they were good to eat, but the ones I have now are pets. These are show quality rabbits (not market) and at some point if the girls got into showing 4H then they could take home a couple to condition and show. They live a bit far from us, and there really isn't another 4H critter they could have in a neighborhood. Chris and I won't raise animals for them to show - we think it defeats the purpose of kids raising critters. To date they have not taken an interest in showing in 4H but if they ever do, the genetics are here for working.

I think I have six at least. I didn't go digging around in there, just counted what I could make out from the side of the cage.

Cheers!
M

You are just no fun. lol. I just knew I was going to push some buttons with the eating and skinning comments. Shoulda known better.

Actually the lops are good eating but the New Zealands and Californians are better.
I would definitely recommend them for 4-H and FFA projects. The girls usually clean up with rabbits and lambs at the shows.

Good luck with the new babies.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
jls41
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:00:12 am »

Heck....sounds like all you need to do is TALK about having baby bunnies and they appear at your house!!  Tongue  Congrats on the new brood!!  Can't wait to seepics when they get big enough!

Jo Lynne Stark
LSWDA President & Charter Member
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »

well, here is as good of a pic as I could get right now of the little blind bald rats.

I know it isn't a good pic, but you can just make out the little spotted ones.

Cheers
M

canitosmomma
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »

Congrats on your bunny babies!
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »

Dang I never knew they were that small when they were born, you got pics of the proud parents?

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 05:30:54 pm »

I will get pics of my rabbits tonight and maybe chris will post them for me.

Cheers
M

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 01:04:23 pm »

Any updates on the little rabbits?

aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

Sore subject, but more are on the way. She had 10 and was taking good care of them. However, she didn't make enough milk for them. The breeder said it happens a lot to first time mamma rabbits, but that she should be good to go on the next litter. Next litter is due in 3 weeks.

Cheers
M

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 03:41:11 pm »

Good deal, that gives me time to get my yard birds up and going  Grin

Cristina
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:16 am »

aww how cute..I love having rabbits its been years since we had any, the only rabbits we have are the wild ones that live on our property lol. My sisters in laws just bought a pair of dwarf rabbits that are super cute hopefully they will breed someday and Ill take a couple.

Anything can be a weapon if your holding it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: