September 19, 2024, 11:03:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes and Cooking Tips  (Read 1157 times)
hwkdrvr04
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »

Hey!  I was just wondering if anyone has some recipes for hog they'd like to share.  I am somewhat new to hog hunting and would like some ideas on how to fix it.  I eat any cuts of meat, so whatever you got send it my way please.

Also, I am a soldier in the Army and we have some sister companies coming back from deployments in the next few months.  We were thinking about doing a welcome home BBQ at some point and putting a few wild hogs on the menu.  Any thoughts on this?  What's the best way to grill big portions?  Quarters or halves?  Any good recipes?  Or would this just be more of a pain in the butt then what's it worth and we'd do better to just get some regular pigs? 

Thanks for the suggestions!
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »

i like the following:
take a slab of ribs or a half and season with fajita seasoning.
then take a mixture of soy sauce and worschester sauce (to taste) and apply liberally, let marinade for a couple hours before cooking.
then apply a thin coat of yellow mustard (to use as a binder) and then apply some brown sugar over all of that.  cook over coals and a low heat.  baste with the soy sauce/worschester sauce mix. 
slimpickins
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:23:04 pm »

hwkdrvr, 1st off, thank you for your service to my family and my country.
I don't think it can ever be said or shown enough.

When I do my big 4th of July BBQ, I do 10 or a dozen hind quarters.
I have injected them and let them marinade overnight, if possible.
If not fine. I then stack them on my big smoker, with high heat.
About 30 minutes per side, to sear them and lock in the moisture.
I then mop on BBQ sauce of your choice.
I mop BBQ every 30 minutes and flip the quarters.
About 6 to 8 hours, with good heat and as little smoke as possible.
I am not a big smoke flavor fan, it gives me crazy heartburn.
I then cut, peel, tear and chunk it all up into a huge electric roasting pan.
If you prefer, you can then pour slightly watered down BBQ sauce over it and serve.

I'd also like to know what your location is and offer to drag my cooker, and a load of quarters to help out. (if it's not too far of a drive). 
This sounds like a miniscule thing but I would be truly honored to cook for a bunch of returning soldiers.

Pro-Staff @ Wild Boar USA
www.wildboarusa.com
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading!" unknown
Bacon is a vegetable!
jls41
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:39:13 pm »

Hey hwkdrvr04 - it was awesome to see pics of you and hear about your first hog hunt!!  It is an addictive sport isn't it!?

The thing you want to remember about wild hog meat is that their isn't much fat content to it and it wants to dry out easily.  You can take the backstraps and flavor them with a BBQ rub or pork rub or just salt and pepper then wrap in bacon and then wrap up tightly in foil to hold in the juices while it cooks on a medium heat.  Slice it up or pull it apart and add BBQ sauce.  Pretty tasty!!  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:50:38 pm by jls41 » Logged

Jo Lynne Stark
LSWDA President & Charter Member
Bump
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »

Rub with your seasonings of choice. I like to use kosher salt, garlic, course black pepper, paprika, fiesta fajita season and  or Tony's. A healthy helping of each. It is best to season atleast 12 hours prior to cooking. (If you like a sweeter taste...rub with brown sugar and/or a bbq sauce.

When cooking directly on the pit without foil.....It is best to baste olive oil with a brush approximately every hour. I like to put a healthy amount of seasoning in the olive oil as well.

Cook on pit for approximately 6-8 hours.

Another method would be to do the same rub but wrap the meat in foil after about 1-2 hours on the pit. I like to add vegatables, chopped garlic, fruit in as well. Cook for about 8-10 hours on 200 degree temperature. This method will give you a more pulled pork.

If you are looking to marinade...just use italian dressing and marinade atleast 24 hours.

I use all three of these methods.

But if you are looking for the no maintanence and most tender and moist meat. Cook it in the ground. Only thing I do different is wrap the meat in banana leaves after i have seasoned or marinade.

Dig you a hole approximately 3x3x3. Build as big of fire as you can.... full of mesquite or pecan or live oak. (one of the three)

Once the fire is down to coals...set your meat in wet burlap and ties off with wire. Place all the wrapped meat directly on the coals.
Next cover the hole with a piece of tin and seal the hole with dirt from the hole. Everywhere that is smoking needs dirt. Leave for atleast 12 hours and up to 18 hours. Take a shovel to get the meat from the ground. It will be cooked perfect...everytime!

Rex Bumpus
hwkdrvr04
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I will try them all. 

JLS41--Thanks, it was so much fun.  I'm definitely addictive.  It's a great outlet too and since it's considerably more legal than hunting people it'll probably keep me in check.   Cheesy

Slimpickins-- That is a really generous offer.  I sure appreciate it.  We are in Killeen, TX (Fort Hood).  We haven't done much planning on it yet, just thought it'd be fun.   It'll be another month or two before we actually do this so if you're still interested then I might take you up on your offer.  In the meantime we'll be trying your recipe out; everything sounds delicious!
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:53 pm »

I know that you said that you were going to bbq but when i am going to feed a crowd, i like to use ground up wild hog meat and make a huge pot of chilli....you can just use your favorite chilli recipe.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
MachinesOldLady
Bay Dog

Just like it says - Machines Old Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 07:31:08 am »

I know that you said that you were going to bbq but when i am going to feed a crowd, i like to use ground up wild hog meat and make a huge pot of chilli....you can just use your favorite chilli recipe.
X2
I think ground hog makes the best chili out there. We also use it to make "hog-sagne" here (what my kids call Lasagne made with hog meat)

catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:55:27 am »

I also would like to thank you for all you and the others have done for our country.

I know if you cook you will need lots of pork because there ain't nothing better than wild pork on the grill. If you need any help getting enough pork to cook let me know and some buddys and myself will do all we can to help get some.

Dustin H
Mrsktchemwcurs
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »

Sara....just let Rick and I know when and we will make a trip up there to help you and to visit!!!!
hwkdrvr04
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:48:22 pm »

Thanks Lacey!  You guys are awesome.  I will let you know and you guys are always welcome to visit. 
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

Chris does a whole pork loin on the grill wrapped in foil with cheap salsa poured over the top. It steams in the salsa and turns out very well.

I like the loin or quarters marinated in italian dressing, slathered with mustard, and bbq'd in foil. Yummy.

A variation would be to bbq it slathered in honey mustard.

Cheers
M

Ps thanks for your service!
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: