October 28, 2024, 05:33:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying dogs specifically for breeding  (Read 1127 times)
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »

Has anyone here bought a dog specifically for breeding purposes? I am throwing around the idea of buying some dogs just for that. No hunting would be involved to help insure the dogs arent hurt and would cause a loss of investment. My question is that since the initial cost would be fairly substancial do you think it would be worth my time and money. I wouldnt be starting any sort of a kennel to make money off of, only to get dogs for my own hunting use and sell any "extra" pups.
kaycee
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:46:04 pm »

I put any dog I'm thinking of breeding to the test to see if they are what I want to produce my next litter out of. But after I know that the gyp is what I'm looking for she normally goes up. That way she can't get hurt and I can get more dogs off of her when I need to. That's why sometimes you hear me call certain dogs off my yard brood gyps. For those that have seen the tests they are put through they can tell you that I expect a lot more out of a brood gyp than I do out of the dogs I work.  That's my way of insuring that I try to pass on the best traits for me and the breed in the next generation..Just my two cents worth... I figured you would have had more answers on this thread..
3-Bdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »

depends on allot of things in my opinion  whether the dog your using is producin i have a female that doesn't hunt real good but when bred she produces good dogs also you have to check the background of the particular dog then realize your goin to be feedin a dog or dogs that aren't bein hunted  then keepin jitters to assure that you are producing good dogs just my 2 cents

You goin to do somthing or just stand there and bleed (tombstone)
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:31:59 pm »

IMO, you don't breed working dogs (or working breeds) until they have earned the right to be bred (proven themselves to be breedworthy in their working venue). That in itself is subjective due to the fact that some folks standards are higher than others.  The individuals goals and their current situation impacts the direction that they take with their "breeding program".

The inherent dangers of taking a dog to the woods also has an impact on what dogs are bred and when they are bred. Personally, I "retired" my bitch when she was 3 years old. But she had passed every test (both intentional and unintentional) that she had been presented with. We "semi-retired" a gyp off of her when she was 3 as well. She is the only surviving gyp off a cross that can never be repeated. But, she had been hunted hard for 2 years and had proven herself breedworthy in the woods.

It's not as easy as some would have you believe to make solid working dogs, that also produce solid working dogs. It's best to increase the odds by breeding only dogs that have proven themselves to be solid workers. There's already enough crappers out there...no sense in producing more.
Randy_P
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:46:43 pm »

I agree with Scott.  However, it is also possible for a gyp that could not pass the standards at hand in the woods to produce exceptional dogs.  I does not hurt a thing if she is the real deal in the woods but don't count out a gyp that has everything you want except the drive to hunt hard for you.  She is just as capable of making what you want as well.  Also just because the gyp or male is an exceptional dog does not mean that  they will produce as good or better than what they are.  This is just what I have witnessed, owned, and bred.  Some work, some dont.
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »

My plan is to work my gyp until she is an awesome dog then use her for some pups. Not only genes but training. I want a gyp that can show the pups how it is done.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Tusk Hog
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

It's very unlikely to produce champions out of animals ( any breed or species) that aren't bred out of champions. But just because you breed two champions, it doesn't mean all their get will be champions. It only increases your odds. Set your goal of what your "champion" will be. Like alot of others my dogs are well proven before they are ever considered for breeding. And sometimes I get set backs by losing a dog, but that's the nature of the beast. Good Luck with your ventures and keep us informed!
hogdoggintn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:53:15 pm »

I agree with most of the previous posts, I personally would not suggest breeding until the dogs have proven themselves. No offence, but I do not agree with Tusk Hog that only champions produce champions. I guess it depends on what you want in a "champion" though. I do agree with him that a "champion" will produce a higher percentage of "champions". I personally would have to prove the dogs before breeding them.

Other than that, we ain't nothing just good ole boys.
Tusk Hog
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »

Hey hogdoggintn, go back and read post, unlikely does not mean never. Just means your chances are not nearly as good. Example I bred my best bitch to my best male dog, At 8 months old out of 6 pups, 3 pups have found their own pig, 1 is really trying, 1 not started yet, and one is a disappointment as of now. Had a gyp get bred on a hunt, when she was about a year old. She had 8 pups. We tried all of them because I didn't feel comfortable either saleing or giving away pups out of an cross that wasn't proven. ONLY 1 of theses pups turned out to be the quality I want in dogs on my yard. Now the father of this last litter was a dog you turn out to hunt and found pigs.  The gyp got hit shortly after weaning the pups and never went to another bay.
     The kicker to this example: the male (my best male) and the gyp that got bred at 1 year, were full sibling. The next question: would the next litter she had been better? I'll never know she didn't make my first requirement.
     Good Luck to all who try breeding their own dogs. It my be a science, but GOD has the final say!!!!!!!!!
Pecos21
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »

Well that is the age old question.....  Grin I have seen some "cull" dogs throw some awesome cow dogs and hog dogs....and I have seen some champion (literally on both sides) dogs throw some junk....... It isn't an exact science...... it really depends on how much time is being put into the pups and how they are treated. You sometimes have to try different crosses to get a good dog. Just because they are proven dogs doesn't mean they will have proven progeny. That goes for dogs, horses, catlle and even people.......  Grin Having said that...... I personally would not breed two dogs that didn't posess some traits I am looking for in a dog.
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »

Maybe I should give a little more info on what my plans would be. The dogs would be Dogo's that can be traced back to Argentina and probably to the creators of the breed. The kennel's website is very informative on the breed and it's history. The owner has a long history with the breed, hunting and breeding for show. Their website is www.dogoargentino.com Now I wouldn't necessarily buy dogs from him, but this is the type I am looking for.

The dog's would definately be out of a champion line and be expensive hence the no-hunting policy I would personally have for them. Their pups on the other hand would be a different story.
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 05:14:28 pm »

If you're willing to throw down the $ to have a dog in your yard just for breeding than I would say go for if you believe in the blood that it will pass on. When "selling" or moving your pups just be straight up about it and how and where the blood comes from and that you run siblings of this bloodline and have so and so results. If you're goal isn't to produce a "kennel" and to produce your own dogs then I say good luck and be responsible about how much you produce before planning another litter.

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

Nick, that is the whole purpose of Grace at my kennels.  Been working with Scott to get my "own" line started.  Took a couple years, but by next year I will know whether Grace will be the right one with Chief.  As you know though, all my dogs have to prove themselves first.  Something tells me Grace is the real deal though. Cool  Then i can have my own line thanks to Scott and keep what I want and sell the rest! Wink  Thats my "goal" at least...

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »

Justin, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you putting in the time and effort with both those dogs. If/when Grace makes the cut, they should make some nice pups.
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

My pleasure Scott, i need to send you some updated pics of both dogs.  Even Chief has blocked up some since you last seen him.

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: