October 25, 2024, 10:35:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet Felt Vest??  (Read 2028 times)
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:41 pm »

Any one use these? I just bought a brand new one made by CC company and a new Tejas bay vest for $40 and was wondering if the CC vest are any good Give the pros and cons.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
wateverworks
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

I have two wet felt vest that my dad bought that weren't used for several years till several weeks ago pros is it is pretty hard for a hog to cut through one of thes vest cons is it is hot and gets heavier when it gets wet but i didnt want to go out and buy new vest so i used these two for my cds and they work fine
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:28:59 pm »

I have a question y is it called wet felt any one know
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:59:06 pm »

That a good question, and I dont have clue to the answer. I know I like the look and its lighter that a tejas cd vest, but have read that they soak up water. I was wonder if the waterproofing stuff in a spray can would work on it

Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:09 pm »

I have two of em. They are actually made from water filters out of wood pulp. They drain water like a seive. They do run alil heavier, but offer alot of protection. The tip of the tusk get caught in it so it cannot rip which as you know does most of the damage to a dog. Most they'll get is a minor poke. Mine also has a bib underneath the neck so a cut collar is not needed.
When you wet the vest it'll form fit to the dog you place it on. Thats where the name comes from as Im told. 

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:57 pm »

You got two up there in Chicago or own two Huh? ha ha  cause one is in the back of my truck and it sure fits Paris well  Wink  I got that big one for Nubbin too but they sure do water log pretty good.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:34:52 am »

LOL...own two.
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:53 am »

Crib, the vest you shown and the the I bought are identicle. Sounds like I got a good deal on mine.

Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

I love em, just have to make sure you put them on right. It will last longer than the life span of the dog using it. Steve J who made em said to make sure to put them in the shower after every hunt.
saltflats
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:13:26 am »

Where did u get them, might need another someday.  Wateverworks is my boy and they worry me that the stitching and buckles might not last long for him, they have been put up for 6+ years.  He has used them on CD and no problem, he just wishes that a bay vest could be made from it.  A week or so ago he lost his strike dog to a good boar, had a vest on that went to the flank, about at the 10th or 11th rib went right thru, lost the dog.  It(wet felt) seems to work good, I wouldn't have it on a dog that I didn't lead in or have a tracking unit on, might get to hot if lost in the woods.
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15:24 am »

You could reinforce the bay vests with a layers of wet felt, if you havent already. The vests I run were made specifically for bulldogs (and by bulldogs I mean abs). They were redesigned from vests used for pits used for 20 or so years so they are tried and true. Steve Johnson made mine. He does it as a hobby not as a business. For a bay dog you might have to have it redesigned to fit their function.
RockinW
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

how thick is that stuff ?  i have some material that looks like it as far i can tell from the pics that came from a paper plant. i was told it was belting that the wet paper pulp  ran on . mine is only about 1/8" thick, but super tough. i got it from my neighbor who has a roll that is 6 or 8' tall and something like 300' long. he has some that has been put up on fences for windbreaks that has been out in the weather for about 20 years.

wonder if its the same stuff?

Rockin' W Custom Saddles
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »

My vest is probilly 1/8" thick, Ive seen another wet felt vest that was probilly 1/4"in thich. I just wonder if this stuff will ever break in cause my vest is stiff as heck.

dan gardner
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 05:03:33 pm »

WET FELTS COME FROM PAPER MILLS . THEY ARE USED ON THE WET END OF A PAPER MACINE WHERE THE WET STOCK IS FIRST ADDED TO THE MACHINES, FORMING A WET SHEET.

THE WET FELTS NEED TO WASHED GOOD BEFORE PLACED ON DOGS, DUE TO THE CHEMICALS USED IN THE PAPER MAKING PROCESS.   
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »

Here is a pic of Tim Nichols with Ruby and the same vest made by the same person.

BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:16 pm »

Do they have wet felt any thinner like 1/16", Id like to get some thinner stuff to sew on the front of some jeans to make some briar pants.

cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 10:39:19 pm »

I own several they are the best suit on the market as for as I am concered for saveing a dog from getting cut!!My wife used to build them!! But I do not run one on my dogs because I hunt in to much warter and it will drown one!!

I gave all my wet felt to Xtreme out doors!! So he could put it in his suits!!

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: