September 28, 2024, 09:18:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut proof dogs  (Read 2008 times)
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

Noah got me to thinking talking about them big bad boars and dogs in a meat grinder.
It seems like my catahoula gyp just can't seem to get cut. She has been on some rank hog and doesn't have a single scratch on her.
I don't know how she keeps away from the teeth, it's not like she bays way back, she's right there in there face trying em'.
If there is an ear there for her to suck up when the CD hits she's on it like white on rice.
I don't know if she's just fast, smart, or what, but I like it!!!

Who else has seen dogs like that, or show a pic of em

John Esker
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »

Man, that's just what my Ellie dog was... 'cept the catch part Wink

Nice to have dogs that can produce good hogs without the drama.... maybe one of these days I'll have another...

I believe it all comes down to inate self preservation instinct coupled with the physical ability to stay the hell out of the way... on top of being a jam up hog dog  Grin

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:13:12 pm »

Wish I had 3 or 4 like that. My buddy had a gyp like that once. She would not catch until he told her to and then she would still work the hog to find her spot. Then she would tuck herself in beside the hog. I don't know if she ever got cut or not but she died a few years back of old age.

Lets go we burning daylight
Easttex
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »

I am to superstitous to comment, knock on wood. Grin Grin

Haaahaha!! That's what I was thinking. Smiley
jesse
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

i need to put in a order for 4 send to my house ups will pay shiping and handling Grin

all hog dogs go to heaven all hogs go to hell
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »

Here's a pic of her. She is like a cat, guess that's why there called catahoula's lol

She'll probably be dead next week now that I posted this Grin
If only she didn't yip on trail every once in a while she'd be the perfect dog IMO

John Esker
jesse
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:23:45 pm »

looks like a dog that got took from a friend of mine kutter blood line good dog i hope yours gets as good as his Smiley

all hog dogs go to heaven all hogs go to hell
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:24:17 pm »

She is a nice looking dog for sure!!

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »

Ive seen alot of dogs that were fast, but, when they get bayed in these cutovers.... they cant hardly get out the way sometimes..They aint got no room to work em

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:49 pm »

Some people breed that trait into their dogs. The best hog dog I have ever known was a catching machine! He would grind on a cold track and leave when other dogs wouldnt even give it the 1st look and put a hog at the end of it! He would catch on hearing our approach. Never had a scratch one him from a hog that I could see. You had better be committed when you legged a hog that that dog caught because he was rolling to another one as soon as the ass end of the hog was off the ground! I wish I could say he belonged to me but It was good enough just to get to hunt behind a dog like that in my life time. A deer hunter shot him at 4 and a half years old bayed on a big boar in Whitehall Texas!
If I can’t have a dog that is smart about getting rough and helping catch then give me a loose baying dog all the way.
It may be hard for some to believe but you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to hog dogs. Your best bet is to find an old man that has been breeding them for about 50 years and beat him out of a pup! lol.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »

I have several dogs just like that, It is high on the list of things I select for and it is a genetic performance trait. I have said this for a long time, quality and style keeps a hog stopped and not brute force. I will not breed a dog that gets cut up on a regular basis.

This also applies to cow dogs, a cow dog needs to be able to work horned cattle without getting hooked or flailed with the front legs. I have several Catahoula dogs that are very hard dogs on cattle and they will get caught on the ear or jaw as soon as they get a shot. This might be part of he reason that I am very concerned with holding style in my dogs because a big boar in not even in the same class as a 1,000 lb horned cow. I need and select for a dog that will hold a cow clean as well as a hog.

levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:10:03 am »

My Kate dog is the same exact way, I've often wondered the same thing. If she would leave me and hunt I would like her even better. She caught the boar we bayed tonight and will bay a big hog and catch with the cd.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:14 am »

There are definitely some dogs that are better at avoiding getting cut. Wish Every one that I owned was like that. But it also makes a difference where you hunt. It's hard for a dog to get out of the way sometimes in the middle of a briar patch or a grown up clear cut. A buddy of mine had a little dog named suzy that was a real nice dog and hardly ever got a scratch on her. She got ambushed in a briar patch one morning and she was dead when we got there..
Some are good at getting out of the way and some just get lucky I think, but no dog is cut proof..
Wish they were..

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
Cull Buck
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:53:54 am »

There are definitely some dogs that are better at avoiding getting cut. Wish Every one that I owned was like that. But it also makes a difference where you hunt. It's hard for a dog to get out of the way sometimes in the middle of a briar patch or a grown up clear cut. A buddy of mine had a little dog named suzy that was a real nice dog and hardly ever got a scratch on her. She got ambushed in a briar patch one morning and she was dead when we got there..
Some are good at getting out of the way and some just get lucky I think, but no dog is cut proof..
Wish they were..

x2  I get way more dogs cut from May-Sept than I do during the cooler months and that has to be because the cover is so much thicker in the warm months.  During the cool months the dogs have way more room to manuver and the damamge is almost non existent for months at a time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:31:55 am by Cull Buck » Logged

"I'm like lunch meat.....always ready" - Eric Barnes

Took Savoy to the swamp and he promtly got his v-card punched.

He's out.  And you're out.  And i don't think I'm in either.
roughdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:00:18 am »

no dog is cut proof i got a gyp thats the best strike dog i ever hunted behind and shes 5 years old and just got shredded for the first time ever a few weeks back even the best dogs get cut sooner or later  jmo

gritty dogs getter done down and dirty
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:42 am »

x2  I get way more dogs cut from May-Sept than I do during the cooler months and that has to be because the cover is so much thinker in the warm months.  During the cool months the dogs have way more room to manuver and the damamge is almost non existent for months at a time.

I totally agree..

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:08 am »

sfboarbuster, that's a good looking little gyp..

coyote hunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »

my finished dog has never been scratched by anything more than a fence an my catch dog has only had two small cuts  one on each shoulder  so far ive been lucky cuz my bro n law lost his catchdog and damn near both of his strike dogs on 1 hog   i dunno y i havent had more damage done but i thank the good lord for keepin my dogs safe   id probly cry at the loss of 1 of my dogs  i love them

bay tight, catch hard
bolo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 03:43:05 pm »

I have a 7yr. old reg. cat. gyp that has found & bayed hundreds,maybe over a 1000 hogs in her life.She had never been cut till this past feburary.But  she got it put to her by a little ol scrubby russian that didn't weigh over a 100lb.Took 2 months to get heeled enough to hunt again.Happened in a bad cutover full of vines.I think if you keep a dog in hogs,sooner or later 99 out of a 100 are going to get cut.Not "if" but how bad & how often.

the old blue boar
landshark
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

I am gonna agree with Mr Mud. Seems like every time I brag on one they end up dead or making a liar out of me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: