October 25, 2024, 08:33:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dog feet  (Read 2567 times)
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:02 pm »

I was just thinkin the other day, and was wonderin what ya'll think about the way a dogs feet are, and how it effects the way they perform: cat footed, flat footed, long footed........    I myself prefer a cat footed dog, its one thing i really look for in conformation, is a good straight legged, tight footed dog.

I read on another forum a while back that a feller out west somewhere said that the cat footed dogs wouldnt last long in the rocky terrain.    Opinions please Grin

Powered by
* Dr.Enuf *
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:54:12 pm »

That is a good question. I haven't really thought about it... where we hunt in the marsh and rice fields, i guess a web footed dog would work best. LOL Cheesy

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:46:29 am »

Not a bad topic of discussion for me. Feet have never been much of a consideration for me in conformation but I have never had a dog with feet issues either.
I do notice them. Especially as puppies and I like a cat footed dog also. I see a lot of leopard dogs with them.
 One thing I have noticed about a cat footed dog is that their feet grow “with them” from a pup and not “into” them. They never seem to be clumsy at any stage in their growing either. You can really see the difference in the “6 months and under “puppy bays at the bayings. The pups that are very agile and quick at that age are almost always cat footed.
HogsGoneWild had a pup named Sasha that was cat footed and quick as lightning from the get go. That is the way it has been with the cat footed pups I have raised also.
As long as dogs feet fit their body when they are grown and don’t hinder or impede their hunting ability, I don’t  worry about them but maybe I should.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
Rockin-P-Ranch
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:21 am »

This is a good topic to chew on. Feet on a dog or just like feet on a horse. With out them they are useless. I dont raise any cat footed dogs. Have seen only very few in my life time. And most of them where of the cat line of dogs. That being said like some people on here we hunt mostly marshs,Palmeto flats,river bottoms and any place else where there is water standing. So you can see here that Im going to take up for my big footed cur dogs. But I beleave that dogs in drier country would do better with a cat footed dog.This goes back to animals adapting to an evolve to the type of terrain they are in. So I have no likes or dislikes for what my dogs feet are like. But maybe I should. Good topic would like to here from more people on their ideas about it.

Cowboys stay in the saddle longer.
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:09 am »

So, what do yall consider to be cat footed? I've always thought that it was a small foot with toes pulled in tightly. Sort of look like they are up on their toes.  Verses a dog that has big looking feet with the foot sort of spread out when they are standing. Is this right?

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
Rockin-P-Ranch
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:53 am »

You are correct in your way of thinking. Most of you running hounds that they use for big cats and bear are cat footed dogs. And most of the dogs that come out of south, west, and north Texas will be more of a cat footed type dog.

JDJP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

my black mouth is what you guys call cat footed. I like it, makes him look very correct. and it looks like hes walking on his toes like someone else said.

hes a quick dog.
ive never noticed how dogs with different types of feet move, but im sure it helps.

you probably don't see many wild dogs with splayed feet.

also in most breed standards splayed feet are not good.

Dylan
Rockin-P-Ranch
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:02 am »

I didnt know that there was a standerd to go by with cur dogs. I always thought it was there ablity to the job they where raise to do, and didnt have to be pretty or and stand up on there toes to it. But if you are talking about show dogs that is a different story. IMO if a dog that stood up on his toes was hunting most of the country here on the Texas coast that we hunt in, Would not hold up very long in the mud and swomp marshes that we have. Not saying that he is not a great dog, He is not of the standered to hunt this type of ground.

preacher1
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:12:03 pm »

conformation in dogs has a significant purpose and it goes way beyond bench shows or making a dog look good. Feet on dogs are just as important as your feet. If your feet are not right you will still do the job but your feet will hurt you more at days end. Same for dogs. Catfooted dogs  can endure more because their feet support them better over rough terrain. Dogs feet can be toughened up to take rough hunting.That is the pads job. I don't think the open footed (coonfooted ) dogs would be disadvantaged in the marshes,etc. Buy to me sooner or later the foot is going to bottom out on something solid and the cat footed dogs would not be at a disadvantage there. Feet are not the only thing either. A lot of hound people went to breeding for a real straight legged dog (post legged) Those looked good on the bench but were no good to stay in a long ,hard race. Read a real good articl in Coonhound Bloodlines by a vet that told why correct conformation was so important to hunting dogs. It's way more than just feet.
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:26:28 pm »

Thanks for all the replys, soundin good so far.  I myself have noticed that the cat footed dogs are a little more agile at a younger age. I was just wonderin if the loose footed dogs, feet breakdown at an earlier age, or cause the dogs to slow down any earlier.  Some that i have seen look like they are walking with all their weight heels, just seemed to me, that the joints wouldnt be properly cushioned, and cause ther joint to break down.  and its not just curs, I have seen alot of hounds with feet that looked so bad, i couldnt see how they could run at all.
   keep em comin, i hadnt really thought about those flat footed dogs, being good for swamps, that does make sense. I could see how a flat footed dog could go a little better in the water than a cat footed dog.