October 26, 2024, 02:24:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garmin DC-40 Update  (Read 6872 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:46 am »

I had an update from Garmin today, apparently some guys are experiencing problems with the new DC-40 collars. Hopefully this info will help.

August 30, 2010
To: Astro Dealers
1-800-800-1020

***ASTRO DC 40 FIRST-TIME USE ADVISORY***

It has come to our attention that a small number of customers who have purchased Garmin’s new DC 40
GPS tracking collar have experienced issues with acquiring and maintaining a good GPS satellite fix. There
are a few simple steps that users can take to ensure their equipment is performing optimally.
• Acquire a solid satellite signal with the DC 40 before attaching the collar to a dog.
To ensure the DC 40 is properly acquired, turn it on and place it in an open area with a clear
view of the sky for approximately 15 minutes. This process allows the GPS receiver to download
data that will accurately calculate the location of a GPS satellite at a particular point in time.
After this procedure, the DC 40 should lock onto satellites within seconds. If users haven’t
turned on their unit in a week or more, or have traveled at least 200 miles from their last use,
they should repeat the above procedure for best results.
• Update the Astro 220’s firmware.
From time to time, Garmin will make improvements to the way the Astro GPS Dog Tracking
System performs. It’s always a good idea to ensure that the unit has the latest version of
software, but it is critical if a customer is upgrading to the DC 40 from an earlier collar version
(DC 20 or DC 30). Among other improvements, the new software update lets DC 40 customers
take advantage of Garmin’s new Collar Lock feature that, when activated, prevents others from
seeing your dog’s whereabouts. The new firmware also enables a two-minute update rate,
which allows users to maximize battery life of the collar.
The process is easy – go to http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/ and download the
latest version of WebUpdater for the PC or Mac. This application communicates with the
Garmin server over the Internet and updates the Garmin GPS with the most current software
version available. It’s easy and it’s automatic – just run WebUpdater after you’ve installed it on
your computer and follow the instructions.
Page 1 of 2
There are a few additional considerations that you might want to make your customers aware of when
using the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System:
• Make sure the DC 40’s GPS receiver is not obstructed.
The GPS receiver on the DC 40 is located on the opposite end of the power button (see photos
below). Users should ensure that this area is not blocked or covered by e-collars or other
objects that might affect a reliable GPS signal.
• The GPS signal of the DC 40 will be significantly degraded in water.
Because the GPS receiver is integrated into the main housing that sits below the dogs’ neck, if
the unit is submerged in water, it is likely that the collar will lose a GPS signal. If a customer’s
dog spends a large amount of time in the water, the DC 30 will offer better reception, because
the GPS receiver is on top of the dog’s neck.
• High-powered marine VHF radios will significantly and permanently degrade the Astro’s
performance.
Some hunters use these radios to communicate with one another. If the radios are used within
close proximity to the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System (within a few feet of antennas), it is
possible that the VHF signal will permanently damage the Astro’s ability to receive a signal from
a GPS tracking collar.
It is very likely that by following these simple steps, any perceived issues with the DC 40 will be resolved.
If you have any customers that continue to encounter issues with the new DC 40, please collect as much
information as possible about the specifics of their problems, including the environment and manner in
which the Astro was used. As always, please forward their contact information to your Garmin sales
representative so that we might address their concerns.
We thank you for your continued support and we anticipate another very successful launch of the latest
improvements to the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System.
Page 2 of 2

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
ChrisTicer
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:05:00 am »

Wow. I just ordered two collars and the receiver. I'm kind of glad I got the DC-30's.
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »

who wants to wait 15 minutes or more at the truck before they let out every time they go hunting , I always put my collars & vest on before I leave the house , its normally takes a hour or more to get to a hunting spot , the dogs are full of energy from being penned up all week so now put the collars on and wait for 15 minutes , thats a joke , maybe they needed to do more testing , surely they can do better than that , the dc 30 dosent work that way
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: