September 27, 2024, 12:23:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridgebacks as hog dogs  (Read 2929 times)
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:25:33 pm »

Hello, I am interested in getting everyones opinion on how good full blood ridgebacks are as hog dogs. I hunted with a half ridgeback half black and tan once and she was a jam up dog. I dont have any experience with full ridgebacks. I was thinking of getting one. any opinions???

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
L3Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »

Over the last seventeen years I have spent alot of time and money importing Ridgebacks from South Africa. All of the dogs I have owned have been finder/holder running catch dogs with very little bark or back down. They showed no fear no madder how big a hog was or how bad he was. Most seemed to like catching the big stuff and would go out of their way to grab a big hog out of a group. I have hunted with American Ridgebacks and it was a hole different story. They would catch on small stuff, and back down and act like a gritty bay dog on big stuff. The size, and shape was much diferent too. The African dogs are big, and show alot of the mastiff side to them. I am getting away from the Ridgebacks because it is getting very hard to find good dogs that want bay. The older breeders in Africa will tell you that the Ridgeback is not a bay dog and was breed to hold large game. To much breeding has changed the Ridgeback and ruined the breed. Also the Ridgeback tends to be very dog agressive. They are usualy fine until a kill is made and then they have to be seperated right away. Just my experence with them. Others may vary.
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:02:42 am »

L3OUTDOORS,
dO YOU STILL HAVE ANY OF THIS OLD STOCK RIDGRBACK? aND DO YOU EVER HAVE PUPS?
L3Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:14:47 am »

I still have one male. I had my last litter of ridgebacks a few months ago out of him, and so far they are turning out to be good dogs. I really dont have much want for any more ridgebacks, but I dont mind studing him out if someone else would like some from this line. The male I have now is not registered because of his color. This is a picture of him. http://www.l3outdoors.com/subpage3.html He is 27'' at the shoulder, and 110lbs.
JUG
Alpha Dog

Hired Hands Kennel Gene Landry (337)394-6563

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:52:16 am »

I still have one male. I had my last litter of ridgebacks a few months ago out of him, and so far they are turning out to be good dogs. I really dont have much want for any more ridgebacks, but I dont mind studing him out if someone else would like some from this line. The male I have now is not registered because of his color. This is a picture of him. http://www.l3outdoors.com/subpage3.html He is 27'' at the shoulder, and 110lbs.
man that dog is a 110 pds. ? he is a nice ridgeback .

"Work'em hard , Cull'em harder !"
L3Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:56 am »

He is around 105lbs in that picture. He jumped up to 110 when I started feeding him Muscle Up Powder. All the male Ridgebacks I have had from that line have been over 100lbs. On a large vest I can only get the last holes buckeled. Not a big dog for some breeds, but big for ridgebacks.
L3Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:16 am »

Just put the tape to him and he has a 24'' neck, and 34'' chest.
JUG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:03:45 pm »

that is a big dog .

Mr. HG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Good looking dog and he is real big.
L3Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:30:20 pm »

We have a 130lbs Bull Mastiff that we hunt with and the body shape and lenght are the same. That is what I was saying about the Afican dogs being built like the Mastiff. From talking with some of the old breeders they say the Mastiff was one of the last dogs that went into the ridgeback.(Red color Black muzzle) The American dogs I have been around where thiner in the chest, and 80lbs to 90lbs. If I was going to get a Ridgeback I would make sure it had a big head that looked Mastiff. One thing stayed the same weather American or African dogs they all winded, and seemed to not be fooled by old trails. They are not long range dogs and dont spend much time out hunting for a hog. All that I have hunted would stay close until they winded a hog. If you are used to hounds and curs this takes some getting used to.
JUG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »

this is my pup maijor

only 70pds.

Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:31:31 pm »

Dont know if your looking for a dog now or a little later but I hope to have some pups sometime in the next year out of my ridgeback that I gat from l3outdoors and then a half ridgeback half texas lacy that is a hog getting sucker.  The female will catch anything under about 130 and if my ridgeback is anything like his daddy he aught to be a heck of a dog.  I have only had him in a pen once so far but he had to go and he is just 5 months and probally weights about 55 ot 60 pounds.  I hope to get some pics of the female soon.  She is my dads and although she is not full blood she looks full blood ridgeback.  I was like you i hunted with her and man I was hooked on ridgebacks and started looking and just happened to find l3 and went and picked up a dog from him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: