September 29, 2024, 04:40:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brindle Black Mouth Curs?  (Read 25246 times)
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

I have seen some pic's over the years of brindle colored BMC's. Has anyone raised any full blood bmc's that threw brindle pups or are these brindle dogs carrying genes from another breed that throws the brindle color?  I don't know the history to well of the BMC but I have seen some pretty old pic's that had brindle dogs claiming to be BMC's. Lastly if this has been brought up before sorry, I did a search and didn't find the topic

Thanks Waylon
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:50:23 pm by waylon-N.E. OK » Logged

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:49:14 am »

http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/highplains/page2.html

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
okie
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:13 am »

i got this from a bmc website...http://s1.zetaboards.com/Black_Mouth_Cur/, from a guy i bought a reversed colored bmc from...

Time And Time again I receive a phone call. The voice on the other end of the line.
Say's Mr. Knierim, I am looking for a Blackmouth Cur puppy. A YELLOW ONE.
Now please don't get me wrong. I like yellow BMC's. But when the first quality for
picking a pup is color. It makes me wonder how they, pick their friends.
The Blackmouth Cur Association reconizes all these colors yellow--red--brindle--black/tan--brown/saddle back--brown. Dogs can have white blazes on chest, toes and tips of tail. Blazes can
even extend to around the neck. However a ringneck is a undesireable trait. Some BMCs may even have piedbald or blaze faces. Again these are undesireable traits.
So lets talk a little about breeding.
How Breeding Use to Be Done:
Centuries Ago when people lived in clans and settlements in Europe and in Early America. People
depended heavily upon their dogs. Dogs that didn't hunt for game. Protect stock and round up free
roaming stock. Warn the family against strangers. These dogs were not tolerated. They were culled
or eliminated. Those dogs that were allowed to reproduce. Only one thing was considered breeding
the best to the best. The Best hunter-protector-stock dog male to like female. Then all pups were kept
inside the clan--settlement--village. Because the better the quality of the dogs. The better hunters
--equal more game on the table. The better Stock dog--Equal a full smoke house full of ham and beef
through the winter. The more protective of the family--equal less like suprise attack by raiders or indians. When this much was a stake. Color was absolutely no factor.
So how did everyone get stuck on the YELLOW COLOR?:
Fred Gipson wrote the book
OLD YELLER. Walt Disney Then made the movie OLD YELLER. Which has become a family
classic for so many people. Right now I realize I might be stomping all over you feet. Well
If the movie is the only reason you bought your BMC. I hope I can open your eyes to a whole
lot more history than Fred Gipson' Book.
Fred Gipson's description of Old Yeller was that. He was dingy yellow, with one ear that stuck
in the air. And that his bark was more of yell. That was how he got his name Yeller. It's a great
book and well worth the read. Better than Disney ever did justice with the movie.
Breeding that is being done today:
Most breedings that take place today. Are because someone has a female, that comes in heat, She
is a decent enough female but lacking in a few areas. So the owner starts looking for a male to
compliment and strengthen her weaknesses. Or someone owns a pair of BMCs 1male 1female. She comes in season and so lets just naturally raise a litter of pups.
The dedicated Breeder:
The dedicated breeder is someone who researchs the pedigrees of his/her dogs throughly. The dedicated breeder should know the strengths and the weaknesses of his/her dogs. A list of all
strengths and weaknesses should be compiles. To comprehend the qualities of the pups before
the mating of the parents. Conformation--head--ear set--feet(wether splay or cat footed) Chest
should be deep and bell shaped. Flanks should be high and tigh. Not low and flabby. You simply
bred to the best you can find or get a hold of.
Color simply has nothing to do with best.
What is really funny. When I have a litter of pups with a couple of Black-n-Tan colored puppies
in it. Guess which ones are the 1st one to be reserved! Folks figure that they are a throw back
to old foundation BMC dogs. Somehow I have yet to see one of those black dogs fail to make a heck
of a good dog.
Maybe it's just that I am not prejudice. I never did care what color my dog was. As long when I got
to the tree it had the meat. That was the only thing that mattered.
I hope this has shed some light on this subject. If you like yellow dogs and that what you
want. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just want you to be aware not to
discriminate against the other colors.
Have a Wonderfully Blessed Weekend
Kevin Knierim
(217)536-9999
sportsman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:01 am »

damn good post Okie, I know you live by that guys words and do cull hard, too bad some people we are stuck knowin dont even have a clue as to what this means, now when the part about breedin a halfway good gyp to a good male just to strengthen her weeknesses came up, I almost felt bad for all those dogs that get culled or all the time and money someone spent just to learn the hard way. it really is up to us to ensure the next generation is bred right and act right, some people just dont get it that a pedigree is like looking at an ingredients list or even a step by step manual to producing, scatter bred dogs can work well they just dont produce consistantly= culls,
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:26:12 am by sportsman » Logged
okie
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:18 am »

you can also read this post about howard carnathan and how he got started breeding and the colors his dogs came out...............
http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/index.php?topic=21872.0
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:32 pm »

Okie

First off thanks for all the info, please don't take my post the wrong way, I'm wouldn't pick a dog just because he/she was brindle. I have 2 BMC that are red with zero black anywhere, to me there as good for there age as any out there, my other one is yellow black masked and I didn't take him home because of color either, I choose my dogs on ability, or if there pups there parents natural ability. Simply put if I found 2 females that were above average and for sale one being brindle the other yellow but equal in all other respects and breeding I would purchase the brindle dog simply because I like brindle, it's pretty  Smiley I am only curious if the few brindle dogs I see are accepted by the majority of working breeders as full bloods because I almost never see them in any of the major lines, and even rarely in lesser know lines, I was aware of the breed standard but 95% of the dogs I see come yellow and I don't think I have ever even seen a black bmc. Brindle it seems is a rare outcropping if the dogs 100% bmc and most when I begin to question there back ground a mountain cur, or plott is mentioned some where in there past. I will check out the links people posted and am grateful for the reply's as well as the information and opinions. God Bless Waylon
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:06:29 pm by waylon-N.E. OK » Logged

Osage County,Oklahoma
TT
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »

I know this one come outa two gen of yella dogs was told all were but u never know
I raised him A buddy has him now
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »

Waylon, it depends on the breeder and his line of dogs.  i have never had a brindle pup, always red or yellow.  other guys will get black and or brindle sometimes. 

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:47 pm »

Thanks fellas, sorry i'm a recovering catahoula man, only owned yella dogs for a year so I'm trying to educate myself the different lines and history, At this point I'm just glad to be on the winning side Grin

God Bless, Waylon

Osage County,Oklahoma
kaycee
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:58 pm »

I love the brindle dogs, but most people don't realize that they are bmc.  bmc stands for black mouth curs, not yellow bmcs, just black mouth.  That would be the roof of their mouth, not the pretty mask that everyone seems to want these days...  If someone calls me and immediately says the want a purty yellow with a dark mask I tell them I can't help them and hang up.  Its simple to me, I don't breed for color, I breed for traits that I find desirable to me...  If you are looking for a dog you need to know what you want in a dog first and worry about the coat later.  With that being said if you find 2 that you like the same, by all means pick the one that you think is the best looking..  Confirmation is another issue-I would rather own a dog with crooked ears and a deep wide chest than one with a beautiful head and to legs that come out of the same socket.  Its all in what you want out of your dog, I personally think pretty is when your dog is locked onto a hog or cow and nothing is going to distract it...that's jmo. 
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »

" I personally think pretty is when your dog is locked onto a hog or cow and nothing is going to distract it...that's jmo.  "

Can I get that in brindle please Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy except no locking on the cows ear, but maybe a little striking on the head when needed
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:28:31 pm by waylon-N.E. OK » Logged

Osage County,Oklahoma
sportsman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:43 am »

Thanks fellas, sorry i'm a recovering catahoula man, only owned yella dogs for a year so I'm trying to educate myself the different lines and history, At this point I'm just glad to be on the winning side Grin

God Bless, Waylon
lol, come to think of it I aint never seen a cat strike and shut down a hog without a BMC, not sayin it cant be done jus never seen it
kaycee
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:08 am »

Sorry, I say a dog is locked down when they are 150% focused on the job at hand, I call caught, caught!!!  I don't know where you are from but if its close to me you are more than welcome to come see my yard.  I'm in the northeast part of tx.  I have brindle bmc's and brindle cross bred (cat/bmc) and seem to like a grittier dog than most.  I also have several bmc's that are real close to being saddleback.  The pale yellow coat is a color preference just like the loud patchwork coat on a catahoula.  Kennels trying to sell pups breed for what the buyers want a lot of times...sometimes without even realizing what they are doing to the breed...
okie
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

i'm not even going to lie i bought my first dog becuz he was reversed colored...all the dogs on the old mans yard where yella...luckily for me all them dogs are great hog dogs...so he turned out to be great dog too...now that i know what i know i wouldn't purchase a pup if i never seen the mom and dad work...
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:15 am »

i'm not even going to lie i bought my first dog becuz he was reversed colored...all the dogs on the old mans yard where yella..

Reversed color or black n tan/saddle backed color?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:20:07 am by UNDERDOG » Logged

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:35:10 am »

Is a brindle cur dog a throw back from the result of a past cross of a different breed back in history? My reason for asking is there are breeders I know that have bred BMC for 30-40 years and have never had a brindle pup in a litter of puppies.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
okie
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »

i'm not even going to lie i bought my first dog becuz he was reversed colored...all the dogs on the old mans yard where yella..

Reversed color or black n tan/saddle backed color?
he's all black except for his mouth and half way up his legs...he's yella in those places...i have a gyp that i got from a guy in illinois and she is the same color...she came out of a red male and yella female...she's actually registered....
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »

You have a pic of the dog handy?

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

okie
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:36 pm »

this is my oldest...almost two...if you look closely you can see the yella under his black coat....he came out of two yella dogs...

here are a brother and sister i bought...they came out of a red male and yella female...
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

this is my oldest...almost two...if you look closely you can see the yella under his black coat....he came out of two yella dogs...

here are a brother and sister i bought...they came out of a red male and yella female...

Good looking dogs for sure...what I was getting at is the term "reverse" to me a reverse BMC would be all black w/ a yella muzzle or mask....that would be reverse coloring right? your good lookin dogs to me would be called black n tan colored.

This gyp below was a mt cur....I called her a black n tan colored dog....or would she be called reversed?

[

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: