October 02, 2024, 09:25:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone hunt Plotts or hounds in East Texas and have a lot of success?  (Read 1281 times)
nogalus boy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

I am thinking real serious about getting a Plott hound next year to go with my pack. I need something to get a colder track around my place. I hunt just outside of Groveton, Texas and anyone who has hunted around here it aint nothing but pine trees and briars. My question is do yall have a lot of success with Plotts or hounds around the Piney Woods of East Texas? I know the hogs around my place are some running SOB's. Not sure if a hound would be good in this area for hogs. I know a lot of hog hunters around here and know of only 1 person who has a Plott for hogs. He seems to do all right around here with him. Just wanting to know if I would be wasting my time with a hound in the Piney Woods or if it may be a good move. Any input will be great. Thanks
Also if anybody has some good plotts around the Lufkin, Groveton Texas area please let me know. Might be looking for a pup in the near future.
Shewolf
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »

Back when I hog hunted with dogs before I had a redbone coonhound that was my strike dog and she'd bay a hog with the best of 'em, and she was known to kill little pigs up to about 30 pounds.  Now most hounds are open on track so since I got her as a pup and trained her I used a bark collar to teach her to be silent on track, I worked her on a long line for about 2 months until she was totally silent on track , my older bay dogs taught her it was ok to open up and bay a hog. Dang I miss her!  A friend of mine had a half plott half black and tan coonhound that was a helluva strike dog but he was a bit too cold nosed for my liking, I swear that dog could strike a trail that was 3 days old.  When looking at breeds of hounds keep in mind some breeds are hot nosed, some medium and some cold nosed.  I never liked a cold nosed hound even when I coon hunted and on a hog hunt a cold nosed hound may lead you a merry chase for 20 miles LOL.
nogalus boy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »

Yea that the only reason Im worried about getting a hound for them being open on track. These hogs around here run worse than deer. Not sure if I would have more success or less with a hound. We aint catchin any hogs right now with our mutts so Im gonna give it a try. It sure cant hurt to try something new. It cant get any worse over here for us. Aint caught a hog since October. Way to long for me. Thanks for the advise
country man 563
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:09 pm »

they do good
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:03:13 pm »

We hunt with hounds on a regular basis and catch our fair share of hogs. Open mouth dogs or silent dogs does not matter when it comes to a hog running, The hogs know either way if a dog is on their trail.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
nogalus boy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:05:48 pm »

Yea I guess you got a good point their. Im gonna try and get me a good plott hound this next year. I just like the heck out of them brindle dogs. Heard nothing but good things about them. Either a plott or maybe a good walker hound. Gotta have something with a nose cause our dogs aint doing the job as of right now. They may surprise me this year but I seriously doubt it. Thanks for the comments
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:51 pm »

As long as the dog will drive the track you'll be fine. My experience is plotts are less mouthy but a walker is alot faster on track but more open. Good and bad in both breeds. I like the plotts but grew up with walker bear dogs.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
nogalus boy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:26 pm »

Yea Im thinking Plott also. I like the heck out of my buddies plott. He gets the job done for sure. I have found a kennel. White Deer Kennels here in Texas that has registered plotts for sale. They sure are pricey. But they should be jam up.
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »

I've hunted behind Plotts for over 30 years and killed many a hog with them. I now have 2 cur dogs that I hunt with my buddie's Plotts.....they're open, my dogs are silent....we kill a lot of hogs during a short time in south GA after deer season. My buddies have a couple of Plotts that are pretty cold nosed but can move a cold track if it can be run. These are fine boned, slick, fast dogs that hate hogs with a passion. As has been said earlier, hogs are gonna run if they want to regardless of what's after them.....at least with an open mouthed dog you know where they are most of the time. I'll soon have some pics of our hunts on here and you can see the results we have with these dogs. I know you're thinking......why don't he have Plotts now? Answer is that I no longer want a dog that will run a hog for miles and miles and never quit.....been there done that....too old to do it any more. These Plotts are fast,.....and they're gritty but not suicidal, they know what to tackle and what not to.....and did I mention that they're fast. Get you one and try it,....it make take a few before you get one that you like....good luck and let me know if I can help you anyway.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
nogalus boy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:37:43 am »

Thanks Firemedic. I apprecite the advise. Yea Im kinda use to looking for dogs. We went last night and my cat cross dog Bo went 4.2 miles from where we turned loose. I dont think I would mind the long range if he is on a hog. Another question. Do you know of anybody that has any good plott pups for sale around the East Texas area? If so I would like to give them a call. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: