October 02, 2024, 11:30:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: horse feeding ??  (Read 743 times)
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:27:14 pm »

i dont claim to know anything about horses or what is good for them to eat or not... my question is sort of for my maw inlaw. she has two horses on two acres and goes through a roll of hay fast. the grass in her little field has all died off and they have eatin everything down to the roots. i told her she needed to plant some rye grass and get something growing and she started doing her "mother in law" Evil talk about how i didnt know anythang and that that would kill the horses.?? when i was young we planted for our horses every fall.. so scince i am so stupid i figured i would ask you guys and maybe yall could line me out on what to tell her to plant if anythang. Grin

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
Diamond G
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Regardless of what you plant, you wont get much results unless you get the horses off the place for about 90 days.  Maybe shorter if you have water.  I have never heard about rye grass hurting horses but I always plant oats.  Good luck with the maw inlaw.

Let'em Hunt!
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

i dont think the rye grass will bother them as long as you feed some hay along with it.

but if the rye grass was realy big and you put them on it , coming off of just hay they might colic.  

if they run on it all the time they will keep it short and eat enough hay to be okay

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:56 pm »

I don't think that 2 acres will support 2 horses no matter what she plants. We have a friend who plants winter oats every fall and puts his horses on it. It hasn't ever killed one that I know of....hope that helps a little.  Smiley

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »

sound like oats might be better than the rye grass. she mainly wanted something growing out there instead of just dirt. when i planted as a kid my dad just told me take them bags of seed and go throw it around out there boy. i dont really know what we planted but our pasture never looked bald like hers but we had ours on 4 acres. i think she needs to get rid of at least one horse.

dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »

I don't know about horses but the mother in law is the last person to prove wrong. Just learn to say "wow I didn't know that! " Oh, say it with your honest look and walk away man just walk away. Then do what you want. Grin

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52:53 pm »

lol for sure good advise Grin my dad always said his maw in laws favorite line for him was "thats right but you are wrong"

Shewolf
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »

Horses can eat oats, rye and winter wheat without a problem, the problems comes in if you allow it to go to seed and they eat the green seed heads.  I've grazed mine on all of the above without a problem. 

Shewolf
RockinW
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:57 am »

I don't think that 2 acres will support 2 horses no matter what she plants.

X2.   
2 acres is not a enough pasture for 2 horses, its more like a pen. they will have to be fed year-round, no matter what. without it, they will eat down and kill out any kind of grass. if you put in some kind of grass AND feed enough year-round, the ground will help support them a little.

but i know what it's like trying to tell the mother in law something. mine is the same way. she has about 9 horses on 10 acres and just cant figure out why they dont do better.

Rockin' W Custom Saddles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: