September 29, 2024, 12:20:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weatherford ben bloodline  (Read 15106 times)
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 10:51:13 am »

The bobbed tails were pretty much only bred into the Foundation dogs.  The theory is that a bob-tailed dog which never learned to rely on the tail for balance makes for a quicker, more agile dog.

There is no place to view pedigrees other than some individual websites that have them posted of their own stock.  If you have a question about a specific dog, give Randy a call.  Most likely, he will know off the top of his head and if not he has access to the registry.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:19 pm »

thanks bryant, i agree on the bobbed tails ,i used to always dock my pups.  it seems it takes em less time to get their tale in gear that way.lol.    m,y point really was  ,  and its just my opinion from observation and conversation that the souythern bmc was bred more for treeing than some other bmc lines . i figure there is more hound in some of those lines  than in the straight cow bred lines. therefore they wont register em if they haveshort tails, thats just my figurin , but im not an expert.

y all know what they say bout ass ump tions
texas tusker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 03:06:56 am »

Both light and dark mask, lined eyes and lips...doesn't make a difference and a single typical litter can include both.

Tails aren't docked, but natural bobbed tails were heavily bred into the foundation genetics.  Both tailed and bobbed dogs can and will appear in same litter.

Bryant,
i'm confused about that how are natural bobtails bred into foundation genetics,was it from the parents before them,or at randy wrights breedings?

the lighter masks and pink noses are due to tight breeding ,

jdt,

i had a dog that was a black mouth and it had pit in it and it had a pink nose.it was a red nose pit crossed over a BMC.

The bobbed tails were pretty much only bred into the Foundation dogs.  The theory is that a bob-tailed dog which never learned to rely on the tail for balance makes for a quicker, more agile dog.

Bryant,
so cutting or bobbing the tail makes them a better dog?

therefore they wont register em if they haveshort tails, thats just my figurin , but im not an expert.

jdt,

they bred bob tail dogs in the foundation genetics but won't regesiter the bob tail dogs as weatherfords ben dogs or foundation dogs in the regestior

can anybody understand this,help please i'm really confused. Huh? Huh?

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Galatians 6:7
Txhoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 07:34:56 am »

Both my Ben dogs have bob tails...folks always ask me if they were born that way....

Take em alive

Bad decisions make good stories

http://www.thehagemanreserve.com/page13/page14/page14.html
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:09 am »

tusker, if i am correct,  the southern blackmouths have tohave long tails to be registered. that is a different registry than the ben dogs. lot of cowdogs tails are docked so they wont collect borrs , thorns , cactus spines and sling them into their sides . some dogs are born bobtail or half tailed.
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:27 am »

I'm not really understanding what your asking in a couple of your questions, but let me explain this and hopefully it will help.  

When I refer to "Foundation Dogs", I'm referring to dogs that are registered with the "Foundation Black Mouth Cur Breeders Association, or FBMCBA".  This is only one of several registries that allow participation and registration of Black Mouth Curs.  Dogs carrying Weatherford Ben genetics are typically registered through FBMCBA although many are also double registered through other registeries.  When a registry is formed, certain criteria are established which can or may not be specific to that particular registry.  Some will recognize a certain expressed trait, while others might consider such trait a "fault".  FBMCBA dogs are not limited to one particular bloodline of dogs (Ben), and individual dogs can be registered but the criteria is very strick and only certain bloodlines might be considered.

Registries have somewhat gotten a bad rap over the years because of those people who simply believe that because they hold a paper on a dog, that the dog is automatically superior.  While to some extent this indeed may be true it is only because of the breeding behind the dog, not the paperwork.  Nothing is foolproof.  A registry really serves no purpose other than to provide lineage information....basically the same information that many people who have raised a particular bloodline of dogs may have jotted down somewhere or even in their head.  The advantage of the FBMCBA registry over some of the others, is that it is a small registry and most breeders know one another and for the most part breed for the same working standard.

Now, as far as the bob-tailed gene is concerned you're going WAY back, and honestly I'm not sure which dog originally introduced that into the breeding program.  I do know that several crosses seemed to prove to those breeding this trait that it was beneficial and therefore actually became a specifically bred trait.  I personally don't have enough experience to have an opinion one way or the other.  I'm working my first bob-tailed dog now that just came a year old and I will say that this dog is the quickest, most agile dog I've ever owned.  When she runs and moves, it almost appears her feet never touch the ground.  She can be running full speed in one direction, reverse her direction and be running full speed the other way almost in a flash.  The reason??...I would hate to speculate.

Personally, I've only been messing with and researching these dogs for about two years.  I stumbled on a dog by accident and was so impressed with this dog that I had to find out more.  This dog was two years old and had never been out of a residential backyard when I got him.  All it took was taking this dog to the woods, showing him that cows were NOT okay to mess with, and honestly within a month he was striking and baying hogs.

Hope this helps.

Here's a picture of the first hog my dog struck and bayed which was basically my first experience with this bloodline.  He's the dog on top, and I believe this was his third or fourth time ever in the woods.  When I saw the potential in this dog, I sent him down to Douglas Mason's because I wanted a BUNCH of hogs put in front of him REALLY fast.  Douglas was actually working the dog for me when this picture was taken.  A man from Houston hunting with Douglas that morning made him call me and wanted to buy the dog.  I still remember Douglas calling and saying, "I don't think you will...but I gave the man my word I would call."  The only thing I wish I could change, is that he's extremely rough, and tends to get cut more often that I would like.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
grittydog
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »

Bryant,
Do you know who and why the Foundation registry was started? I cant seem to find much information about it. JT

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 09:15:14 pm »

good question gritty dog. id also like to know when he was born and when he died.( weatherfod ben )
texas tusker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 09:28:13 pm »

which brings me to this question?Who did Ben Jordan get his dogs from that all these great BMC's came from and from where?

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Galatians 6:7
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 10:18:13 pm »

well this is what mr ben told me. he was born in 31 , he married the youngest of 6 sisters from a well to do family . the older girls when married were given so many acres so many cows, hogs mules etc etc. by the time they got married times were tight  mr. jordan and his wife got 250 sows and a pair of cur dogs. ( he said he had to work for his ha ha )

he gathered hogs by driving them to pens just like cattle until the 60 s when he said they started getting too much russian in em.  he was a prca pickup man for years.    he still has alot of dogs, in his mid 70 s he runs cattle on 62 square miles of land and does about all the work himself.

when my buddy was there lookin at dogs they bayed up a group of cattle, mr ben pointed at a cow and said " i aint seen that cow in 2 years, i thought she was dead" lol . his dogs for the most part are not as rough and are not as big and pretty  as the wright bred dogs, but they will hunt and they will stay bayed.

at blackmouthcur.com is a good article about the origin of the cur
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 12:19:03 am »

Bryant,
Do you know who and why the Foundation registry was started? I cant seem to find much information about it. JT

The foudation registry was started in 1991 and was originally formed with the strictest breed standards ever written or implied for any cur breed.  The goal of the registry as written was, '...to preserve, promote and protect the original Black Mouth Cur Breed."  I'm not sure who was the original founder.

Weatherford's Ben was born 10-1-1988.  I'd have to look back, as my mind is blank on date he died.  He was actually the 80th dog registered through FBMCBA.

which brings me to this question?Who did Ben Jordan get his dogs from that all these great BMC's came from and from where?

Ben Jordan had an influence in Weatherford's Ben, but several other established bloodlines of dogs were used in the formation of the registry.  Red Burkhart's dogs as an example.

Since that time, several other established bloodlines have joined.  A couple of examples would be Butch Arnold who began breeding and working his own line of dogs for his personal use around 1956.

bayinman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »

i have a 1 1/2 old gyp that came from Ben Jordan anyone know anything about them?

its bayin time!@!
Wormy Dog Kennels
Alpha Dog

''Home Grown Like Tomatoes''

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »

Weatherford's Ben world champion hog catch dog, world champ cow dog, world bench champion, hall of famer, to date has produced the only world champion other than himself. Has produced many other hall of fame dogs and is the nations number one all time producing stud dog for this breed. Of the top ten stud dogs of record most carry Ben genetics, some are sons, some are grand sons, and one is even a great grand son. As a matter of fact there is only one top ten stud dog not carrying the Ben genetics.  In Randy Wright's humble opinion Ben was the best cow dog he ever saw until his son Wright's Bounty Hunter got old enough to show his stuff. Hunter works identical to Ben in that he is a rock solid catch dog that even hard core bulldog men can admire, and have. LOL A cold nosed wide hunter that proved he would rather pass out baying cattle right next to water than look out for a drink an leave his work. Now that's desire folks and it don't come easy you gotta have it in the genes so you better start with it right up front or your playing catch up. Ben was 65 pounds in working shape, produced heart, intelligence, drive and desire. Bred by Mike Bauman in Oklahoma Ben was fawn yellow, black nosed, long legged, deep wide chested, high tight flank, long body. Was known to have been placed on a 24 hour old track of some rank Braford brush cattle which he then trailed 6 miles or so bayed, an settled to be penned. Ben was known to have a slobbering glaze eyed focus on a bay, really worked a front end lead but had the intelligence listen, and so do his pups given the right stimulation an training.  This ain't a flaming advertisement just some truths about an out standing line of working dogs and what kind of things you can expect when you make a move towards the Foundation Blackmouth Cur for a working breed. There were 40 + litters off Ben all turned out to be above average for the most part, he has pups in 43 states, doing a wide range of different tasks showing the breeds versatility, there are 18 different breeding programs using this blood in the states an one in Canada, most are stock working or professional hunters. Folks, facts just can't lie!

Just some info I found

Wormy Dog (www.wormydogkennels.webs.com)
Proud T.D.H.A. member
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 10:23:27 pm »

yeah  ,   nothin is 100% . but if your buyin pups that line gives you a lot better odds . some of them are too ruff  , but i can always back a rough dog off easier than i can  make a chicken do something  he dont wan t to do .
bayinman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »

can anyone tell me about the Ben jordan dogs?Huh?Huh?

its bayin time!@!
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »

man...i went to wright's webpage.   

those have got to be some of the prettiest lookin BMC's i've seen.  good lookin dogs.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:13 pm »

can anyone tell me about the Ben jordan dogs?Huh?Huh?

E-mail Clue Anderson @  ja@crosstel.net  he can tell ya all you want to know. Tell him I sent ya.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »

all of this is really fascinating.  i like looking at lines like this, nice to be able to talk to a breeder and know pretty damn close to exactly what you're gonna get out of a certain breeding.  instead of, well the momma and daddy both hunt good.  i mean no offense to anyone but i like to know a little more about em than that.
wcg89
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:36 pm »

I bought a registered BMC pup in February that is double bred Weatherfords Ben I think he is something like 35% W. Ben or somethin like that....hope he makes a good dog...I can tell he is gonna be a big dog he is only 3 months old and towers over my other 2.5 month dogo pup and is about the same size as my buddy's 5 month old plott pup.
Carolina Diesel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:40 am »

well i have not been hog hunting long but from my experience the BMC (weatherford ben bloodline) has been some of the best performaning dogs i have seen hunt thus far... weather its a BMC or a BMC crossed with something else
wish mine was still living he seemed to be a dern good intellegent dog before we had a little accident >R.I.P. RIVER<

A MAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS BEST DOGS SO TAKE CARE OF THEM
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: