September 20, 2024, 12:33:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this  (Read 1097 times)
Trooper
Bay Dog

Yella dogs mean business

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »

I have a 5 month old puppy that will bay a 200 pound boar in a pen. I want him to hunt in the woods , when my friend had his dogs he would hunt out about 200 yards with them and always come back. Now when he goes by hisself he don't hunt very far. I don't think he knows why he is in the woods never been on a hog in the woods. Without a good find dog to run with will he hunt by hisself, if not what can I do?
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

If he's just 5 months.....you can't expect much out of him,....he's just a kid now. Give him a few more months to mature and take him with some good dogs and if it's in there....it'll come out.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »

a 5 month old pup bayen a 200 lber i would be tickled pink all over

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
Trooper
Bay Dog

Yella dogs mean business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »

He won every event at the first and last baypen I went to. There where people offering me lots of money for him, but I wouldn't give in. I want him to be a woods dog and I won't part with em, just want him to hunt
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »

was he bred to be a pen dog? There is a huge difference from pen bred dogs to woods dogs woods dogs are bred for there hunting ability not just bayen skills

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
Trooper
Bay Dog

Yella dogs mean business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »

No he was bred to be a woods dog he just has a lot of determination and big cahunas he hates a hog.
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

Trooper, I don't often give unsolicited advice,.....but I'm going to here this time, hope you don't mind. If this pup is that good, and he must be for that many people to want him, please resist the urge to put him in a bay pen every chance you get if you want him to be a hunting hog dog,....remember....he is just a kid as dogs go.....a grade school kid....if you put him in high school he'll get confused, burnt out, or hurt and you will have ruined a potentially great dog. Good luck with him and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:17:49 pm by firemedic » Logged

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
Trooper
Bay Dog

Yella dogs mean business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:33:57 pm »

Yes sir thanks for the advice I had already made up my mind last month that I wasn't goin to put him in a pen again. But if there's nothing I can do to get him to hunt without buying another dog then looks like I better go get one just can't trust to many people these days especially selling dogs.
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:25 am »

Just let him grow, if hes rollin out 200yds at 5 months old i would be happy, I have seen alot of grown dogs that wont go that far. I agree with firemedic, dont burn him out, let him grow, and just give him enough to keep him interested. I dont think you will have any problem getting him to hunt when he gets old enough to keep up with the other dogs