October 23, 2024, 12:37:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panhandle Mulies...looking for tips  (Read 1442 times)
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:06:10 am »

I'm in the initial planning stages for a deer hunt up in the Panhandle (Potter County).  The place has Whitetails and Mulies.  I would prefer a mulie but If I get a nice whitetail in range i'll definately sling an arrow at him.   I am gonna be bow hunting, so I'm wondering when would be the best time for good deer movement in both species.  I'm thinking early bowseason would give me more greenery so I could get close and get a shot, but the general season falls closer to the rut and might provide for more Bucks on the move.  Either way I will be using a bow so I would have to trade one for the other.  Hanging a stand is out of the question, the chance of a tree big enough in a good spot are like a snow balls in he!!.  Im gonna be focusing on the canyons and the draws for cover.  I was also wondering if Muledeer respond much to rattling antlers or even if the whitetails up there do for that matter.  A decoy crossed my mind but would be a pain in the rear to carry around.  I'm brainstorming anything that will help get one in bow range.  Its gonna be a me and a good freind so I figure we have a 10 percent chance that one of us will get something.  Either way It will be fun trying.  If some of you North Texas guys or oakies have any tips please lets hear them.  When do the whitetails up there rut? does anybody know?  Thanks.

Waylon
bigrackHack
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:42:49 pm »

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd try to help with a response.  I'm in Childress County so I'm not too far from Potter.  I've had a few mulies on my property, so I've got a little experience with them, however, Whitetails are my favorite.  As far as rattling, I've never had a Mulie respond, or even act interested.  Spot and stalk is gonna be your best bet with a Mulie, especially if your focus is canyons/draws.  I wouldn't have a clue about a decoy for Mulies...matter of fact, the way I've gotten closest to them is in a vehicle...you almost have to shoo them out of the way.  As far as Whitetails, my experience has been that they start responding to rattling during the first week of November and intensity steadlily increases to about the second week.  The rut seems to occur around mid-November in my area.  Try rattling mixed with a buck growl or roar call and if you attract a buck that's in the right frame of mind, be ready for some fun!
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:14 pm »

Thanks for the responce, and the info on rutting dates up there.  I saw a hunting show on Mulies and they called some in with doe bleats, so I might try that If we end up going.  I'll be hunting with a buddy of mine so If we rattle or call anything we will have one person rattling from further back and the other between the rattling and the deer or on the route we think they will take.  That way they wont be looking for the sound where the shooter is.

Waylon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: