September 20, 2024, 12:47:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just starting out.  (Read 993 times)
Marcusr
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:07:45 pm »

Well I just started out.  Went on a hunt about three weeks ago and watched 2 dogs hunt, one was a cat and one a cur.  Well to say the least I fell in love.  Bought me a 7 month old pup that is baying well in the pen, but you can still see the pup in him alot.  We have built a small bay pen and getting a couple of hogs next weekend to start working our dogs.  My buddy has one that is 18 months and just now starting him (bought him to be a tracking dog for bobcats) due to overtime and work schedule.  So I am looking for all and any advice I can get.  I have looked into the P & P vest and collars, and ordering one in a few weeks.  I have read alot of info on here and trying to learn as much as I can.  So please help with making sure I can turn him into a good woods dog and not get him killed.  P.s. the guy i bought him from raised pen dogs and I want him to be a woods dog. 
Case
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:22 pm »

Welcome to the board Marcusr!
I'm still pretty new to hogdoggin myself and wont offer too much advice, but wanted to welcome you. There's more than enough information on this site to help out. If you have a question use key words in the search engine and I assure you someone else has already discussed it, and there will be plently of info and guidance. Welcome and good luck!

God, Family and Hunting...
redtick23
Strike Dog

[IMG]http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/redt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »

if you worried about get your dog killed hog hunting is not for you .No one wants to get one killed but that is the chance you take every time you hunt them . With that said i hope you have good luck with your dog and welcome to the board

Feed them good hunt em hard.
The best training can't  make up for bad breeding.
Trooper
Bay Dog

Yella dogs mean business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »

Welcome I'm also new to this and recently asked for advice and they said if you want him to be a woods dog keep him out of the pen. You can type in puppy training on the search board and there are several diferent things you can do to train him. Hope this helps and good luck.
Marcusr
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

I understand the risks of taking him out, just don't want to get him killed because of my stupidity. I have read a few of the threads on here about puppy training and am taking it all in. But what about getting the in the pen one a month or every other week just to help him starting with smaller pigs and working up to bigger ones. One of the guys we are going with tomorrow has a twelve acre pen with a dew hogs in it and we might get in there with the pups. Also what else should I get that is a must have when starting out. And at what age should u order a vest. I'm going to get a collar on it's way. Thank you in advance for all your advice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:25:39 am by Marcusr » Logged
TimmsHogDogs
Alpha Dog

CRAZY DOG KENNELS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:37:08 pm »

Collars arent too expensive, get one as soon as possible, depending on how much you want to spend on gear it differs for vests, most people from my understanding or at least us, we wait until they are at least a year old because they have done most of their growing by then, if you dont have the extra money to spend on multiple vests for one dog then it is best to wait until then.

*Crazy Dog Kennels*
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »

Get to know your dog. A vest slows them down. The vest protects against cuts but not being crushed and the heat can be a problem. A pen is good for seeing your dog's style plus it gives you a chance to handle the hogs in a more controlled environment. In the woods it is harder to see what is really happening. But a bay pen teaches the dog to be lazy. So either build a wooded pen or find someone that will let you use one. At least two acres but bigger is better. The advantage is that you know there are hogs and you know how big they are. It keeps everything in an area so you can see how the dog is doing. I only run cut collars on my bay dogs. I wanted vests on my bay dogs until I saw the difference in their ability to move quickly when a hog charges. But like I said there are risks to dogs and you. You have to make the call because you have to live with the results. Good luck

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
TxHogDoggin
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:06 am »

Welcome to the board. The best advice I can give you is don't buy any dog until you see it hunt. I haven't personally been burned but I know a lot of people who have bought a "finished" dog that was nothing more then a house dog. For some reason people like to take advantage of the new guys and take their money. Hunt the dog before you buy it and get references. Where are you from?

Caught hog.

The strength of the pack is in the dog, the strength of the dog is in the pack.

Cole Patterson
Marcusr
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:36 am »

I know the guy real well that I bought the dog from and did get to see him work but only in a pen before I bought him. I live in east of Oklahoma city about 25 minutes.
Marcusr
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »

Took Willie out today for the first time since I had him. Friend of mine has a twelve acre bay pen and we let 2 new dogs work with an older dog. Thus was his first time in the woods and he did well. Got him on a boar that weighed around 80lbs. Ol pig was mean a roughed Willie up a bit but he kept going back. He just followed the lead dog around so he never winded anything, but 30 mph winds don't help on his first time out. Once she started barking he was right behind her the whole time. I have to say I was proud of him and just had to let y'all know.
coyote hunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:20 am »

hey marcus  i live south of lawton ok a lil ways  u can come hunt with us an i can introduce u to some veterans from around here  i have a finished dog an started dogs to put urs in behind for training  let me know  704 7521  580 area code

bay tight, catch hard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: