October 10, 2024, 08:21:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogo Argentino  (Read 2879 times)
daytonhogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:24:46 am »

Is it true that dogos are capable of being track dogs and catch dogs?
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

That is what I heard. That is why I have a Dogo puppy. He has a lot of hunt already. The ones I have seen don't find them as well as cur dogs but I have seen them wind a pig and go get it. I plan to run a cur dog with two Dogos. That way the cur can find them and I have a dog barking to find them. They are not pits and have to be treated different. But I really like most of the Dogos I have met.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:39:08 am by dub » Logged

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
daytonhogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:55 am »

i was wondering how the nose of the dogo compares to to a cat or bmc just doesnt seem it would be very effectice in tracking but ive been wrong before. Im also interested in getting a pair of dogos to run with a cur.. can you point me in the right direction for a couple dogos? it would be apprectiated.
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:42 am »

It took me a year and half to get my puppy. Do not get in a hurry or you will not like what you get. With the price comes people that just want money. So be careful.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:18 am »

Kinda funny when I started mine she is 5/8 dogo 3/8 ab the first simulated bay I took her on she trailed the pig to the bay then caught she has a decent nose this trail was 15 mins old or so.  I was impressed now I know a lot of curs can do that but was impressed with her being a cd lol
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:15 am »

They are not pits and have to be treated different.

How so?
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:43 am »

It is a matter of expectations and what you want. If you want a Ford you buy a Ford not a Chevy. I have a hard time describing the difference with out sounding like I am bashing Pits and I like Pits too. I would say as a puppy the Dogo looks like a Pit cull. But I think they are just developing technique or confidence. You can ruin a Dogo by pushing them. I am sure that I am not making much sense. I hope someone smarter than me can explain it. I have only seen other people's Dogos develop so it is only my observation. One of the best Dogos I have seen hunt I would have culled as a puppy because I had seen pits. My puppy seems much better than any Dogo I saw as a puppy so I bet he will be a rock star. I will think and try to come up with better words unless someone can say it better than me.

Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:48 am »

Dub,

Just curious whose Dogos you've hunted behind?

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:18 pm »

To me cull at 10 months old if not catching or showing the will a dogo don't cull till 2 years old they mature and some start a lot later.  A pit to me can be about as good as he can be at a year old dogo might not be there till 3 or so.  They take patience.  Most of this is coming second hand from people that have them.  I talked to several people that do when I was looking for the dog I have now and this is the conclusions I came to on the dogo now on the pit side that is just how I see them and the experience I have had with them
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:03:29 pm »

Dub,

Just curious whose Dogos you've hunted behind?
Not a popular person so I will PM you.

setexasplott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:51:18 pm »

i have a dogo that will find her own hog if i fjust let her run all u her is the grunt. i also have a catdo that i have sent to a bay and when it broke before he got there he ran with my plott for over a mile before the hog set up again . to answer your question both of them can wind and find there own hog they have done it and will do it again .

i know i should be hurtin but im smilin ear to ear
TDHA Member
WWT Official scorer
JLH
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »

heck them worthless Mutts of yours dont need to be at your house I need them send them over hear
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »

Ive got one that does it all, I have also owned several that were culls. Seems to me there are alot of trashy dogos around so get one out of hunting stock! There seem to be a few solid guys on this forum to get dogos from. My gyp is only 75 lbs and is athletic and hard. I got her from the ppc folks on here, I think most of their stock is a bit larger than that though...Hard none the less. My AB is giving her a run for her money, he's not quite as good in the endurance department but hunts better than my cur pups  Angry
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:25:04 pm »

That little pup I got from Marvin works a field real good at three months old. He works like a bird dog pup just not as fast as a bird dog. I have real high hopes for him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: