September 29, 2024, 12:19:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hip Dysplasia  (Read 1872 times)
pico
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:36:37 pm »

Has anyone out there had a dog with hip dysplasia?  I have a 7 month old female I just started running a little.  The other night the dogs covered a bunch of country and she stayed with them.  The next day she did a lot of laying around.  I thought she was just tired.  For the last five days I have noticed an unusual movement in her hind end.  She just kind of bunny hops around like her back legs are tied together.  Also as soon as she stops she either sits or lays down.  She won't stretch out and run or jump around like she always does.  Also, a brother to this dogs momma I heard had the same symptoms at one time.  There is some pretty good literature on this subject, just wanted to see if any of ya'll have had or heard about this condition.
Flatbroke
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:44:55 pm »

What type breed is the dog? 

next time I shave my Ass, we are gonna have to glue it on them slick haired ones.
Flatbroke
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:47:31 pm »

Here is a link to an article covering said subject.  http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/hipdysp.html

next time I shave my Ass, we are gonna have to glue it on them slick haired ones.
texas tusker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »

don't you have to get the hips x-rayed to see if your dog has HD.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Galatians 6:7
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:29:10 pm »

don't you have to get the hips x-rayed to see if your dog has HD.

For working dogs, if they have it, x-rays are usually moot. In other words, you usually can tell after they've been worked hard.

7 months old is a little young to see HD. It's usually seen in large breed dogs. Check her over real good, could've been she injured herself somehow on the hunt. Give her a little time and see if it gets better. If the problem continues, it's a definite possibility.
Live Oak
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:15:33 pm »

I have had two BMCs that had it. One came from Missouria. The second, just recent, came from around Luling I was told. Both would not load (jump), layed down during the hunt, carried they rear ends funny and were around 9/10 months old. An old Vet with out an X-ray machine said he could feel it. I spent a hundred bucks to confirm the first one because I did not believe him. Did not waste the money to confirm the second. I know of at least one other "line" of BMCs that had it.
c.miller
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:44:33 am »

The father to your dog also has a history of it in his lines. Just put down a pup that was kin to yours that was also 7 months old. If a dog has shallow hips (hip dysplasia) it will never make a working dog and will always be in pain. Like others have said a x-ray can tell.
shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:55:13 am »

ive heard american bulldogs were prone to it but i havent had any dealings with it (knock on wood) id definately take that dog to a vet and get it confirmed, it may have just been hurt while hunting

aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:02:22 pm »

I'm taking one of my Aussies in on Wednesday to get x-rays done on her hips as a prerequisite to breeding her. While she shows all the signs of being perfectly normal, I'm having the orthopedic foundation for animals or OFA evaluate her x-rays and give her a permanent rating. On dogs under 24 months, they won't have a permanent certification.

The downside is that it is expensive and not something you'd just run out and get on your hunting dog. The x-rays are so concise that they dog has to be anesthesised just like you'd do for major surgery. Then, you send in an application and $35 to OFA so they can evaluate the films. Optimally, you'd get back an Excellent or Good rating as opposed to an abnormal or dysplatic finding. Your vet can typically tell you if you're spinning your wheels sending the film in to OFA, but the money's been spent at the vet already. You'd be into the dog another $175 or $200 by that point.

Given the fact that hunting dogs are required to give so much of their bodies, it would make sense to get OFA ratings on heavily used breeding dogs. That said, it likely isn't done because HD just isn't seen as often as you'd think in the dogs we use. Think about how many dogs have been owned by or are currently owned by just the members on this board. Yet this is the first I've heard any mention of dysplatic dogs. What I find equally as interesting is the fact that two of these dysplatic dogs are from the same line of BMCs (most likely genetic for someone in that pedigree of BMCs). Now check out a duck hunting dog forum and I bet this subject has been brought up a hundred times if it's ever been brought up once.

Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 01:01:06 pm »

Hip Dysplasia is Genetic and passed on, so if you suspect your dog has dysplasia don't breed that dog ever.

pico
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »

Thanks for the info from everyone.  I think I will try getting her x-rayed, as she comes from good stock on the top side and i've had some luck with dogs from her momma's side also.  She's worth trying something.  I think flatbroke asked about her breed type, she is a quarter leopard and 3/4 black mouth cur.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: